• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping

mooney713

New Kit
What are your thoughts on it? do any of you have your rabbit microchipped?

Im interested in getting done but wanted some opinions.

thanks in advance xx

i haven't had my rabbits done as they are indoors bunnies. If they were outside I think I would though. I work at a vets and we often get rabbits bought into us that have been found wondering. I don't think we've ever been able to track down an owner.

We've never had a rabbit brought in for microchipping but I definately would say it was worth it. The only thing that would worry me is the size of the needle and bunnies thin skin. You wouldn't want them jumping off the needle!

Belle was microchipped for me by Walsall RSPCA when I adopted her but Bunsk isn't. Now that they are outside, I really want to get Bunsk done.

It does seem like a good idea! mine our outside at the moment but we live in a quiet area with enclosed garden but I am moving soon into town so maybe it is worth getting them done....

I was also worried about the needle its huge and my rabbits are quite skittish would give me a heart attack if one jumped away!

Yeh thats what i thought, but then a rabbit can only be reunited with its owner if someone takes it in... if its stolen then there is not hope.

We always scan any animals that are bought in to us and also put up posters in reception and info on the website of any animals that are handed in :)

my dogs are done... i'm ashamed to say i never even considered having the bunnies done. :oops:

i would worry about it hurting them, when i got my oldest dog Sid done it was at a dog show he was 6 months old and he screamed the place down, i felt awful.
later when i told my vet she said she always tries to do it under anasthetic if they are under for something else (not put under just for chipping).. when i got jazz i had her chipped the same time she was spayed.

I got Jenson done even though he's an indoor bun. The vet offered if while he was being neutered so at least he didn't feel the needle!

I'm glad just in case!

Hmm it does sound worth while then, think ill get it done then, at least if they try to do a runner and someone hands them in ill know where they are! xx

My 3 are, our vets scan rabbits too.

Honey is a bloomin escape artist, I'm ever so paranoid at looseing her. She digs in seconds and leaps in seconds.

What are your thoughts on it? do any of you have your rabbit microchipped?

Im interested in getting done but wanted some opinions.

thanks in advance xx

both my bunnies are microchipped, locksley was done and then mabell was done when she wouldn;t of known during her spey operation

you can ge thte bio chip ones, where when scanned it shows their temperature

Mine aren't done for the following reasons:
1) I don't see my buns ever escaping.
2) If they did escape or were let loose I think you'd have close to zero chance of catching them
3) If my buns went missing I'd put posters up, get in touch with the local vets, put it in the paper, phone the rspca etc. I think that gives you virtually as much chance of getting them back as chipping.

I suppose if they were stolen that's when it would be really useful, as you can identify them as your own. But that's only if you find the people who took them.

Thanks for your opinions! think im gonna get it done as i know ill regret it if i dont and they go missing or are stolen! xx

Back