• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

4 yr old dwarf lop with loose stools & weight loss

The Wiggies

New Kit
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help with ideas as to what is up with my Bun? she is a 4 year old dwarf lop who until a few months ago was in good health. At her routine myxi vac she was weighed and the vet noticed she has lost weight. Her weight has been going down since, with this week the addition of:
* loose stools
* Smelly urine
* increased water intake
* her bottom seems to be over-active so to speak (when u look at the anus it seems to be contracting on/off)

Her bottom needs washing 2x a day at mo - she is feeling very bony, but seems happy in herself, eating normally etc...I have her booked in for vets tomo but want to go armed with some ideas. I am thinking of asking for bloods & urine analysis?

I have my local vet who is not overly savvy so if any one could recommend a vet in the southampton area that would be appreciated.

many thanks for any help.

Has she had her teeth checked ?

Dental problems can present with weightloss, excessive drinking and consequently excessive urination aswell as unformed/uneaten cecotrophs causing a mucky bum.

When she had her jabs in May the vet did give her the once over and nothing was mentioned regards her teeth. I cant help thinking the worst :(

It's not possible to get a good look at the teeth without a GA (generally speaking) so I would say that this may well be the cause. Let us know how you get on.

sorry to hear she's losing weight etc. i hope tomorrow's appointment can find out what's causing it:)

Just back from the vets and the news isn't good. Teeth were checked and nothing to suggest it was the reason to stop her eating -I watched her today and it seems she isn't interested in her pellets (will have the odd hard treat but with the same gusto as previous).

Bigwig has lost a kilo in weight since mid May which according to the vet suggests some sort of metabolic condition and with the above symptoms the outlook is not good. As is, I am treating the symptoms (She's had a Baytril injection and a 5 day course for home to try and stop the messy poop) plus complimenting her diet with science recovery,so lets see how we go. Looking at her now she seems to have aged so much in a week, so much slower but still coming to me for cuddles etc.

Hoping to give my little girl the best of whatever time she has, but at this time i am totally gutted :cry:

Thanks for the advice x

Last edited:
So sorry for both of you. It could be related to kidneys.
Just to check they did examine the back teeth as they sometimes get spikes or spurs on them which are the reason for the pain and subsequent not eating.

If you want to try and get some weight on her you can offer baby food that's only vegetables and fruit and porridge made with water.

Yes she did check the back teeth - it was a different vet today and she seemed to know her stuff and was very detailed in all her exams of Bigwig. I will try the porridge oats, she did actually have some dried today - is that okay? will get some baby foods also.

I feel like my heart is breaking :cry:

Thank you x

She is eating a little more today and her poop is not as runny which is good.Just trying to stay positive for what time we have together.

Back