• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a New Zealand White bunny??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
There is a bunny called Cilla at the sanctuary where I'm volunteering, she's a New Zealand White which were originally bred for meat, so she's HUGE :lol: I've never been a lover of REW bunnies (sorry :oops:) but I really love Cilla!!! She's got such a lovely temperament, and I'm seriously thinking about bringing her home to live with us :) I'm just wondering if anyone else has one of those bunnies as I haven't seen any on here... And do they tend to be lethargic or will they be active like other bunnies? And I'm concerned that she's alone, I'm aware it would be preferable for her to have a friend... :?

I have one and have had 2 others...they are an amazing breed and I have found them to be so friendly, placid and loving.
I have found them to be active just like other bunnies but a little more layed back and happy for attention.

I have one and have had 2 others...they are an amazing breed and I have found them to be so friendly, placid and loving.
I have found them to be active just like other bunnies but a little more layed back and happy for attention.

Aww thanks for that!! I really want this one :oops: I'm looking at dog kennels for the garden for her to live in!! Is yours indoors or out? Do you have pics?? :wave:

I don't have one myself but there were loads at the sanctuary that I used to work at (they had a massive rescue of them) and they are reputed to be the most placid and friendly bun. If I had room for a giant then I would have one of them :love:

I had a New Zealand White when I was kid. Her name was Snow White and she was very sweet and laid back. She was huge but still seem to love me carrying her around. She was chase after the cats. She was bigger and they would run.

I had a New zealand White for many Years, we found her roaming in our local churchyard (think she had probably escaped from somewhere). We named her Mary - the Church was called St Marys. She was a lovely, very laid back rabbit, , but unfortunately sucumbed to the dreaded stasis, in the days when vets didn't know how to treat it, so despite our best efforts she died; but I will never forget her..............

Oh how lovely. Hope you get her. Yes it would defo be best to bond her with a neutered male for company. Keep us posted!

I want her even more after reading your replies!!! :D the thing is, there aren't any males there, and I really wanted to get both from there. Also, Cilla is miles bigger than all the others, I know you can bond different sized buns, but would the bigger one not hurt the smaller one when humping etc? :?

My Humphrey is a nzw ,he is such a placid big softy ,very cuddley :)
HUMPHREY005.jpg

010-16.jpg

I had a my Henry for over 8 years and yes he was big, around the stone mark. He was soo gentle and loving and a real mummys boy. He would follow me at around like a puppy and if I sat down he would always try and jump on my knee. He would eat my mums marigold flowers in one bite and everytime my Dad walked passed him he would flip his backside around and spray wee all over him, everyone except my dad found this hillarious :lol: He used to sulk too. If I went on holiday and left him, I would come home all excited to see him and what did I get? big thumps and him running to the back of his cage, grunting at me if I reached in. I havent seen another NZW since but I would love another one.

I want her even more after reading your replies!!! :D the thing is, there aren't any males there, and I really wanted to get both from there. Also, Cilla is miles bigger than all the others, I know you can bond different sized buns, but would the bigger one not hurt the smaller one when humping etc? :?

I have a big/little couple Flemish Giant doe & Nethie buck.
They are brilliant together.
They snuggle & groom each other like any other bunny couple.
She does wear the trousers but he is very cocky & agile & always makes his escape if she is grumpy with him.

I've just been looking on rabbit rehome, and found a male NZW not too far away!! He could be Cilla's husbun :love: or there's a blue conti which I'm very tempted by... So exciting!!! :D

I have a NZW, Bobby. He is gorgeous and has a lovely temperment. He used to be bonded to a dwarf lop and they loved each other. Since My dwarf lop died, he has been bonded with my medium sized bun. No problems with size at all.

Back