• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi rabbit in garden

Just had my neighbour come round to see if I had lost a rabbit as there was one in their garden. Wasn't mine. I said were they sure it wasn't a wild one. they weren't so went round to have a look for them, and it is a wild one but I think it has myxi. Its eyes were closed and stuff seeping from them and didn't look too well. Have told them that it probably has myxi and to call the RSPCA or a vet. Was that right?

Am now worried about my own two. They were recently vaccinated for myxi, do you think they will be okay.

Yes, it should be reported to make people aware in the area, so yes, that was right. Poor bunny :(

I would think yours would be OK, but just keep an eye on them, as vaccinated buns can still get it, and it can often be treated if you catch it really early.

Yes, it should be reported to make people aware in the area, so yes, that was right. Poor bunny :(

I would think yours would be OK, but just keep an eye on them, as vaccinated buns can still get it, and it can often be treated if you catch it really early.

Thanks for that I will keep an eye on mine.

Am hoping they have heeded my words and called someone about it. I can still see it sat in their garden from my bedroom window. I felt so sorry for it. Poor little thing, both eyes looked like they were sealed shut. Awful.

Update on myxi rabbit - it's under my car!

This rabbit is now under my car. Came out of neighbour's garden (they didn't' bother to ring RSPCA) so it's become my problem now. RSPCA officer will ring me back. Not sure when, and rabbit may have gone by then. It's really stressing me out. Girl over road training to be a vet came out to look and "helpfully" said you need to hit it over the head with a shovel! No I don't want to do that. I couldn't bring myself to do that.

I await the RSPCA's call

It may be very stressful for the little bun but is there any way you could get it to the vets to be PTS? at least that way it will be put out its misery. :cry:
I dont blame you for not being able to hit it over the head with a shovel, I couldnt do it either. :cry:

poor thing.. could you take it somewhere to be pts? :cry:

i took a magpie to be pts last week on my way to work.. i thought it was a bag by the road but it was a maggie flapping about in a bad way.
i put it in the car and stopped at the pdsa near work and asked them to put it out of its misery. the vet said it wouldn't have survived as its legs and rib cage were all bashed in.. but i couldn't have left it there like that and the image is still with me.

i would be in a worse state with a bunny... :(

Update on myxi rabbit

I phoned the RSPCA and they told me to contain it overnight and then take it to vet tomorrow. I explained I didn't have anywhere to put it and also I didn't want to take it in and put my own rabbits at risk. so they said put a box over it give it food and water and they would collect it in the morning. I wasn't that happy with that and I didn't have a box. By then the bunny had moved over the road under my neighbours car. So I went over to them to let them know and see if they could help with the box. Anyway to cut a long story short, my neighbours daughter (who is in her second year of veterinary college) helped me. She got it from under the car and they had it overnight and this morning they took it to the vets to be PTS. Bless it. When she picked it up it was so skinny and didn't even struggle poor thing. So it is at peace now thank goodness.

Last edited:
Yes sad as it is I am very relieved for it. It was in such a sorry state and at least it hasn't got weeks and weeks of long painful death.

It had obviously been attacked by something too as it had an open wound above its nose. Poor little thing.

It was very stressful, I just didn't know what to do for the best.

Am glad its all over with a kind ending to the poor little thing.

poor baby.

i'm glad he/she was given a peaceful passing:(

I know it's a relief for it. I must say I still feel a bit traumatised by it. May sound silly, as people may say, it was only a wild rabbit, but it was just so horrible to see it in that state. I must move on! :roll:

I know it's a relief for it. I must say I still feel a bit traumatised by it. May sound silly, as people may say, it was only a wild rabbit, but it was just so horrible to see it in that state. I must move on! :roll:

its a horrible thing to see:( nobun deserves to be so poorly:(

Back