• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mammary problem - tumour or infection?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
What is likely to be the diagnosis for a doe with small lumps in every nipple and yellow-brown leakage? At least one of the nipples has gone black. I can't tell if the lumps are pus or tumours.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like mammary tumours to me. That is how the only case of Mammary Cancer I have seen presented. The Doe, (Victoria Meldrew- a Frenchie who was used as a Breeding Machine for 3 years:cry:) had a total mastectomy and there was no metastatic disease xx

Thanks Jane. Would that suggest the tumours were probably benign?

TBH I suspected tumours because one of the lumps burst whilst I was there and the leakage didn't smell, whereas you'd probably expect infection to smell somewhat

Thanks Jane. Would that suggest the tumours were probably benign?

TBH I suspected tumours because one of the lumps burst whilst I was there and the leakage didn't smell, whereas you'd probably expect infection to smell somewhat

We did not know if VM's tumours were malignant or not til we received the Histology Report. The tumours were malignant but the cancer had not spread.

If the Doe is unspayed then it increases the likelihood of a malignancy

Latest news on this poorly bunny...She and her partner are hopefully going to be arriving on Sunday morning. Tracy is very kindly transporting the buns for us. She has a vet appointment booked for 9am Monday morning, so I'll update when we know more.

Flora saw the vet this week for 'mammary tumours'. Fortunately, my extremely bunny-savvy vet is 99% certain it's hormonal swelling rather than tumours. She has swellings on every nipple but they are soft and squidgy. When he squeezed a couple of them, yellowy-pale beige liquid came out which he said was milk (albeit probably a bit stagnant :shock:). Flora is 8 years old. She was spayed by the RSPCA when she was around 6 months old. However, my vet said it is very easy for an inexperienced vet to leave behind some small amount of uterine material, which causes phantom pregnancies (Flora had a massive one of these about 8 weeks ago). So we're now just waiting for the swellings to go down and hope that's the end of it (for now).

Flora saw the vet this week for 'mammary tumours'. Fortunately, my extremely bunny-savvy vet is 99% certain it's hormonal swelling rather than tumours. She has swellings on every nipple but they are soft and squidgy. When he squeezed a couple of them, yellowy-pale beige liquid came out which he said was milk (albeit probably a bit stagnant :shock:). Flora is 8 years old. She was spayed by the RSPCA when she was around 6 months old. However, my vet said it is very easy for an inexperienced vet to leave behind some small amount of uterine material, which causes phantom pregnancies (Flora had a massive one of these about 8 weeks ago). So we're now just waiting for the swellings to go down and hope that's the end of it (for now).

Gosh, that must be worrying for you. Incidentally I wonder if uterine material left behind after a spay could cause cancer?

This doe has swellings on all her nipples...they burst and a watery brown/yellow discharge comes out. I sincerely hope it's just an infection...I spoke to my vet and apparently the brown stuff in the discharge is probably blood, which can be present in either mastitis or cancer. She's unspayed, so the chances of cancer are pretty high.

Back