• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny

Im thinking about getting a bunny soon and im reading up on different breeds.
I have kept them in the past, so i know the basics.
I'm going to keep them in the house, with outside access.
My aunt and uncle have a harlequin dwarf lop.

I'm just wondering how long flemish giants get?

I'm thinking either dwarf lop or flemish giant.

Hi:wave:

It's good that you are doing some research before getting rabbits again:D, you've come to the right place.

Rabbits are social creatures and like the company of their own kind, to it is best to get a pair (a neutered male and a spayed female generally work the best). If you go to a rescue (or look on Rabbit Rehome) there are lots of pairs waiting to be adopted and it really takes the worry (and expense) of neutering and bonding away.

House rabbits are amazing, you just need to make sure you bunny-proof the rooms they use and are prepared to have your stuff chewed at times (my two love shoes).

If you have a look around or ask on the forum, you'll find loads of information to give your bunnies (and you) a great start.

Yeah we used to have netherland dwarfs but they were evil, so i thought i might as well reaserch different breeds.
Ive narrowed it down to either a giant (Flemish or british) or dwarf lop. Depending on cost to keep a giant and how long they will get. I know they can get to 7kg or more but id have a better idea if i knew the rough length, as i live in a small rented flat but plenty big enough for a veery large bunny.

When i get nearer to getting a bunbun ill bun proof. :p

I dunno about Flemish giants but when my friend's conti stretches out fully, from nose/ front paw to end of back paw she's about the size of a lying down border collie :shock:

I dunno about Flemish giants but when my friend's conti stretches out fully, from nose/ front paw to end of back paw she's about the size of a lying down border collie :shock:

I think they are classed as continental cos they are from bavaria i think.
Wow hoooge :shock: :D Any pics?

ok here is a dwarf lop and a paillion (a giant bun) next to the same x large cat litter tray:

007-5.jpg

013-4.jpg

the dwarf lop was fully grown and the giant bun (daisy) was still a bubba :)

and here's daisy as a bubba in my hubbys arms:

001-1.jpg

hope this helps x

Last edited:
ok here is a dwarf lop and a paillion (a giant bun) next to the same x large cat litter tray:

007-5.jpg

013-4.jpg

the dwarf lop was fully grown and the giant bun (daisy) was still a bubba :)

and here's daisy as a bubba in my hubbys arms:

001-1.jpg

hope this helps x
Ah i think that might thanx, gorgeous bunnies btw and i LOVE the giant :love:

giants are fantastic as long as you have the space and time for them. sadly i got out of my depth with daisy (i already had bella and jasper, had daisy and then my :censored: of a sister dumped the dwarf lop on me :( ) and i couldnt cope. i was extremely lucky as i found a lady who took daisy and freddy (dwarf lop) and i still talk to her this day :) i miss my big bubba so much but i know i have done what is right for her.

one day i hope to have a giant again, but they will have a bonded partner and i have promised myself no more than 2 buns, thats my maximum :)

I had thought of getting one rabbit if it is to be a giant.
My parents had a huuuge pure white rabbit when i was little as a house rabbit on his own and he was perfectly happy. Mum didnt work and i only do 20hrs a week max at work with no more than 5 hours at a time. I plan to let my future bunny (s) have free run of my flat when im there and free run of my parents garden.

I had thought of getting one rabbit if it is to be a giant.
My parents had a huuuge pure white rabbit when i was little as a house rabbit on his own and he was perfectly happy. Mum didnt work and i only do 20hrs a week max at work with no more than 5 hours at a time. I plan to let my future bunny (s) have free run of my flat when im there and free run of my parents garden.

:) then a giant would be great hun. they are gentle soppy buns and daisy was like having another dog bless her. if i had just her i would never have even dreamed of re homing and even to this day i beat myself up about it :( but i had bella and jasper to think about.

you will need to do massive bunny proofing as i found daisy was my worse chewer out of all of them and thats saying something as bella is a madam for the wood work :roll:

where were you thinking of getting your bun from???

x

Ok thanx, hmm yeah my front room is a kitchen/diner :) Ill be fencing part of it off :lol:

Um im not 100% sure yet, i always go and see the bunny's when i pop into pets at home, Yes i know alot of people dont like them so please noone say how bad they are, and i saw a giant on there and it got me thinking. I have a huuge dog crate already and some toys :D i cant help mself :lol:

Mums just said it was a new zealand we used to have :)

Flemish relates to the part of Belgium where they speak Dutch. Nothing to do with Bavaria. ;) But yes, they do get very large. My first rabbits were giants or giant crossbreeds, and they were quite difficult to handle. Very strong.

Flemish relates to the part of Belgium where they speak Dutch. Nothing to do with Bavaria. ;) But yes, they do get very large. My first rabbits were giants or giant crossbreeds, and they were quite difficult to handle. Very strong.

Ah ok thanx, i knew it was somewhere on the continent.:lol:
Looking at pictures and weights it looks like flemish get to nearly but not quite twice as large as papillions im guessing?

Ok thanx, hmm yeah my front room is a kitchen/diner :) Ill be fencing part of it off :lol:

Um im not 100% sure yet, i always go and see the bunny's when i pop into pets at home, Yes i know alot of people dont like them so please noone say how bad they are, and i saw a giant on there and it got me thinking. I have a huuge dog crate already and some toys :D i cant help mself :lol:

Mums just said it was a new zealand we used to have :)

i think any bun is gonna be work, regardless of the size so as long as your prepared to put the effort in and do as much research as you can then go for it hun. buns of any size are fantastic, the pets at home route is one many go down myself included but i would strongly recommend a rescue bun as it lessens the mass production of buns x

Ok thanx for your advice shell, ill make sure i get a cuddle regardless which bunny i get :D

:) no problem. remember to post pics when and if you do get them ;)

also remember dwarf lops can vary in size massivley especially if you do get them from pets at home as you do not know what has gone into them genetically. bella has HOOGE ears and i was told she was gonna be a small bun :roll: the general concensus is that she is a hare x english and she's a good size bigger than i thought she would get :)

Yep will do, ill look at their ear size compared to their body, my aunt and uncle have already said they want to come with me when i get one. Ill post a pic of their gorgeous bunny:love:

Back