• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poppy is getting a boyfriend tomorrow :-) UD p.20...Its all gone wrong :-(

helen01

Warren Veteran
I got a phonecall from my local p@h on Friday night, a little bunny had been brought into the rescue part. His daddy has cancer and cannot look after him anymore:cry:

He is white, 2years old, about the same size as Poppy, very gentle, very clever. He has a pink pig that he is bonded to...he gets upset when it is taken off him (and he humps it a lot:shock:) so that's coming with us too.

He needs neutering and vaccs and I will need to get Poppy speyed this week also so bonding them is a few weeks away. Its a bit sooner than I would have liked as I really wanted to have Poppy speyed and healed first but my gut feeling is :love::love::love: and I do think he is her Mr. Right:D

Its just a mad rush now trying to sort out some alternative housing/run for him as I had always thought I would be bringing home a bonded Poppy and hubby straight into her shed:oops::oops:

Last edited:
:love: Awww thats great, at least he won't have to be sat in the tiny adoption pen for too long this way :)

Fingers crossed they will love each other straight away :love:

bless what a sad story, I wonder if you can keep in contact with the dad so he can know his little bun is safe with a new wifey, a glimpse of hope in a awful situation. Hope all goes well.

bless what a sad story, I wonder if you can keep in contact with the dad so he can know his little bun is safe with a new wifey, a glimpse of hope in a awful situation. Hope all goes well.

The guy was in p@h when the lady rang me so he does at least know that he is going to a good home:D

I can't wait to see photos of your new addition Helen. I'm sure Poppy will fall head over heels when the time comes. :)

The guy was in p@h when the lady rang me so he does at least know that he is going to a good home:D

^I'm sure that will be a big relief to him.

Hope everything goes well. Looks like you've got a busy few weeks ahead.

Good luck :D

Thanks all:wave: Well I have been busy in the garden all afternoon, I have made him a run and attached it to a hutch so that he can have access outdoors at all times until after his op and bonding.

I have put a lino in the hutch as well so its a bit easier to keep clean:D The hutch is only a 4ft one but he will hopefully only be in it for a few weeks (if bonding fails I will get a playhouse for him). I will get him neutered next week once he has settled in. I have taken the partition out as well so its a bit bigger inside.

We have been chatting about names as well....my youngest calls Poppy 'Princess Poppy' because he spoils her:oops::oops::lol::lol: so we need a name to go with 'Princess Poppy':oops::oops: I wanted to call him Peter but Zaks having non of it! lol!

Poppys hubby to be is here:love::love::love: He is really beautiful and is soooo gentle:love::love::love:

He will let us stroke him and tickle him (which Poppy will still only let us do on her terms). I will get some pics tomorrow when he's had chance to chill for a bit. As soon as my youngest saw him, he said 'we'll call him Snowy', the guy in p@h chuckled and told us that was his original name and that p@h had re-named him?? So Snowy it is!!

Poppy goes in for her spey on Friday (I will be a nervous wreck:shock:) and then Snowy will go in next week once he has chance to settle. I will get his vaccs done after his spey (want to give his hormones chance to settle before bonding) and then the fun will begin:D I'm off in the six weeks holidays so I am really hoping I can get them bonded before I go back to work:D

Fab news! I just bonded my two last week, even though my boy floppy keeps trying to hump his new girl penny, she just ignors him! good luck! :love:

Fab news! I just bonded my two last week, even though my boy floppy keeps trying to hump his new girl penny, she just ignors him! good luck! :love:

Snowy has a pink pig that he humps all the time:shock: I am going to take it away once he's neutered and I can put him near Poppy, I am really hoping he doesnt hump her too much as I think she will put him in his place:shock:

Snowy has a pink pig that he humps all the time:shock: I am going to take it away once he's neutered and I can put him near Poppy, I am really hoping he doesnt hump her too much as I think she will put him in his place:shock:

poor bun loving a pig! :shock: give him lots of time after the op for him to calm down a bit, as for poppy is she a laid back bun?

poor bun loving a pig! :shock: give him lots of time after the op for him to calm down a bit, as for poppy is she a laid back bun?
Nope :shock::shock: She was a stray and is pretty wild. We love her to bits but she will probably never be tame. He seems really laid back (apart from the humping), he's as big as her and really clever (Poppy is really clever) so I'm hoping they will be suitable.

If all else fails I will end up with a playhouse for him and madame in her huge shed:lol::lol: I'm just worried she will be lonely in the winter. When we are home one of my dogs lays right near her run and Poppy loves it, she isnt craving company yet but once the cold weather starts my dogs wont want to be outside all the time and I think she will get lonely.

Nope :shock::shock: She was a stray and is pretty wild. We love her to bits but she will probably never be tame. He seems really laid back (apart from the humping), he's as big as her and really clever (Poppy is really clever) so I'm hoping they will be suitable.

If all else fails I will end up with a playhouse for him and madame in her huge shed:lol::lol: I'm just worried she will be lonely in the winter. When we are home one of my dogs lays right near her run and Poppy loves it, she isnt craving company yet but once the cold weather starts my dogs wont want to be outside all the time and I think she will get lonely.

If she is not laid back then the longer you leave the bonding the better! although they could meet at a distance sooner, just patience is needed. stay positive and it may well work! good luck! :D

If she is not laid back then the longer you leave the bonding the better! although they could meet at a distance sooner, just patience is needed. stay positive and it may well work! good luck! :D

Thank you:D I am hoping they bond before winter:love: But would be really pleased if it was before the end of the summer hols:lol:

I type here with a really heavy heart:(

When we took Snowy to be neutered it turned out he was a she and was speyed instead..... We still wanted to bond them after both of their stitches had healed. I am in the middle of having a full rewire, the house is all boxed up and the walls and ceilings are coming down on Monday morning:shock: So I moved Snowy out to Poppy's shed and separated them with a puppy pen.

On Thursday Snowy managed to get over the puppy pen and through the mesh roof and into Poppy's shed. That day both had been grooming each other through the bars and it all looked great. Anyway, when I went into the shed there was fur everywhere and both Snowy and Poppy had had a huge fight:shock:

I took Snowy straight to the vets and they operated on her yesterday, she had two big bites which thankfully have been sewn up, she stayed with them last night as well. She has recovered well. I made the decision on Thursday to rehome Snowy as I am just too scared to put her back with Poppy and the children are really scared of her (she guards her space and has so far managed to bite and attack each one of us).

My boys spend an awful lot of time with Poppy and Snowy deserves the same, she wouldn't get that here if 3/4 of us are terrified of her:( I feel awful and feel as though I have let her down but I also think its a sad future here if we cannot give her the time and company she needs.

If my house wasn't getting ripped out on Monday it would be very different, I would have more time to a) keep her indoors and let her wounds heal and b) build her something suitable so that we could keep her and work with her. I just cant risk her in Poppy's shed as next time she may not be so lucky:cry:

I went into P@H to explain and of course I am under obligation to return her there as thats where she was adopted from. They have been great and because she was adopted by me as a male, they have reimbursed all of my vet bills so far (without me even mentioning it, they just asked me to bring receipts). She is going to be looked after by them and when she is well enough she will be rehomed as an adult only bunny. They also work with a local rabbit rescue who may help out.

I am so gutted that its all ended so badly and have been really upset, I really feel as though I have let her down. I just cant meet her needs and cannot keep her safe while all these workmen are in the house:(

Back