• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

petplan vs pets at home insurance

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
ok i have probably missed a thread with the same question...but which is better?
i have petplan but im interested as i need to insure the two ladees....and i dont want to do petplan for the sake of it being petplan if the other one works out the same or better....its all a matter of choice and bun insurance doesnt have that..theres an exotics one but if i recall back int he dim drk days...it wasnt very good?

i think a sticky is needed informing the pros and cons of the policies..if anyone ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS the bloomin wordings!!:lol:

PetPlan provide the best coverage.
Pets at home are slightly cheaper but provide slightly less coverage.

Petplan CAN pay directly to the vet.

I wouldnt trust anything from P@H.

I have a '12 months for the price of 10' voucher for petplan if you would like to use it. Works on rabbits, cats and dogs. :)

P@H insurance is fine, but Petplan is better.

Most vets will deal directly with PetPlan but not with P@H so if for example your bun broke her leg with PetPlan you would (normally) have to only pay the £55 excess to your vet and nothing more as long as PetPlan agrees to pay (which they should do for a broken leg!) but with Pets at home you would be liable to pay the full amount (could be £hundreds or more) to your vet then have to claim it back from P@H which can take weeks for them to pay out.

One reason I've chosen Pets at Home insurance is you can START the policy when the bunny is over 5 years old, that's the cut off point for the start of insuring with Pet Plan. It isn't any more expensive than a younger bunny either.

One thing to be aware of with P@H insurance if you pay monthly they will send you a credit agreement - no way would I sign a credit agreement for an insurance policy. I cancelled the policy but they still took the first payment which has annoyed me because I didn't sign the credit agreement then change my mind so they shouldn't even have taken the money until the credit agreement had been signed. I have got it back now though, they were excellent about dealing with that aspect.

Dill has always been insured with petplan as I was quoted £15 for him with pinnacle[B's insurance] but recently when getting quotes for Casper Pinnacle quoted £7 for Cas & £6 for Dill.So have took it out with them for Casper & cancelled Dill's insurance with petplan,now Pinnacle want to look into Dill's background as a]he came from a rescue & b]he had injurys there but no problems with us.Am starting to panic now as he currently has no insurance until they decide.Pinnacle are very quick when settling claims-had to claim alot with B,& get £25 vouchers towards her vacs a year,though I dont think that applys to the other two.Petplan never looked into Dill's past though told them the same as Pinnacle.Doesn't pay to be honest sometimes.

i know just what you mean...sadly being honest gets you squat:(

i think ill go with petplan...just the ladees had their myxi at rescues but not vhd....petplan say they have to vaccinated first:?

so ring the vets in morning.....the ladees need a vhd jab and merlin needs his vhd booster. but merlin poss has teeth trouble again...and lily the last 48 hours has had some dry discharge on her fur and eyelid...weve bathed it but it deffo needs drops.

so any eye probs she gets iin the future will not be covered by petplan anyway.
but they do pay vet direct....wished id known that last year..our usual vets dont:shock:

Back