• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fussy eater - bad teeth?

Kate123

Young Bun
Our little Bella (approx. 15 months old) is a cashmere lop, and we have been having some problems with her recently. She has never been a big eater of her soft poos and this week we have had to give her a bottom bath as not only has she not been eating them but she's not been moving away from where she does them - just sitting in it and getting in a mess. I have recently tried to change their pellets from excel to science selective in case this was part of the reason but no change. I have cut down the amount of veg she is given but it's hard as her partner is such a pig he'd eat both their food if he could!

She sort of forages in her food before eating anything and I'm worried that her teeth may need looking at - thought her beard was getting in the way but don't think that's the cause. The past 2 days she has only been eating hay and dried herbs & nettles and has turned her nose up at cranberries, parsley and other things she usually loves - I thought it may be out of protest as we also cut her claws and she wasn't happy but could this be serious?

Our little Bella (approx. 15 months old) is a cashmere lop, and we have been having some problems with her recently. She has never been a big eater of her soft poos and this week we have had to give her a bottom bath as not only has she not been eating them but she's not been moving away from where she does them - just sitting in it and getting in a mess. I have recently tried to change their pellets from excel to science selective in case this was part of the reason but no change. I have cut down the amount of veg she is given but it's hard as her partner is such a pig he'd eat both their food if he could!

She sort of forages in her food before eating anything and I'm worried that her teeth may need looking at - thought her beard was getting in the way but don't think that's the cause. The past 2 days she has only been eating hay and dried herbs & nettles and has turned her nose up at cranberries, parsley and other things she usually loves - I thought it may be out of protest as we also cut her claws and she wasn't happy but could this be serious?

It may well be Dental problems, but without a full examination it is impossible to say. The fact that she is getting a mucky bum and is now going off some food are both symptoms that merit prompt Veterinary attention. They are symptoms of Dental problems, but there are other things that could be causing them too. The sooner any potential problems are identified and treated the better.

Good luck

Thanks very much, we have done as much as we can here for her without a trip to the vet (which she hates!) but I think I'll book one now. Think they're due jabs soon anyway so that can be done too. I read that they eat grass/hay in a different way to how they eat other foods which would explain what she's leaving and what she's eating.

I see a lot about dental buns on here - but what does diagnosis actually involve and how much does it typically cost? She's worth every penny but i think my vet is at the expensive end of the scale...

Hopefully your vet will have a opto thingy scope to look at her teeth.My vet did an x ray too, to see what we were up against.But although this did cost, Roland only needed this one big dental over a year ago and as hes now got a great diet,touch wood all is well.
A dental could be as little as 10 (insisors) and up to 250 which was Roland but he had alot of complications with tummy too.Was admitted, lots of meds,etc etc.

Back