• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PetPlan Insurance

Alicia

Mama Doe
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for pet plan insurance? I was going to get a quote, but I don't know whether or not I want to get insurance for Archie and Molly, so I don't really want to put all my details in until I'm sure I want to get insurance for them. I know its a good idea to get it, but I'm still deciding between petplan and pets at home insurance, so would you mind telling me how much you pay for insurance for your rabbits? Sorry to be nosey :oops:

can;t remember one is £10.50 or something the other alittle less with mulitpets discount, though i expect mabels to go up next year as i had to make a claim, but they paid up :)

I pay just over £17 for two rabbits with Pet Plan. Having used them for horses, I know that they do pay out if you have to make a claim. Always something worth considering as sometimes the cheaper companies don't.

Hope this helps :D

It will depend on what area you live in, they are banded because vets are dearer in some areas.

Most areas seem to be £17ish for a pair of rabbits with Pet Plan. I don't think you'll have any problems getting a quote, I did it a few times randomly to see if breed etc influenced the price and they didn't bombard me with emails.

I've had quite a few claims now with Pet Plan and I'm find they pay out but take their time over it. they keep asking for further information - it's the second stasis episode on the same bunny in the year - how much further information do they need each time, they already have the full medical history. I have 3 claims outstanding at the moment. That said, it means I'll *hopefully* get £400 back which I wouldn't if I didn't have the insurance!

Last edited:
I have a voucher for '12 months for the price of 10' if you decide to get insurance. :wave:

I pay £40 for lifetime for my dog.... thats the top bestest one. The rabbits arent insured, they have their own bank account. :)

I think bunnies are in the range of £10.99 for a single bun but you get "multi animal discount" which brings the price down.

I get further discount because I work at a vets which makes mine a lot cheaper :p

what do they cover? Wold they pay for bloat and dentals? and how much do you pay towards the costs.
just wondered we tried to get cover years ago for winston and they wanted £25 per month his med was only £18 every 3 months and the cover wouldn't cover his feet problem so we never bothered with it but now our vets bills in 4 years are now about £14-15,000 so wondering if maybes getting it for jack and coco would be worth it. Obv angel wont be covered as she is a dental bun.

I pay £32ish a month for my four bunnies with Petplan. One of my bunnies had bloat recently and had to stay in the vets for 4 nights, total billl came to over £1,000 and Petplan paid up every penny! :)

what do they cover? Wold they pay for bloat and dentals? and how much do you pay towards the costs.
just wondered we tried to get cover years ago for winston and they wanted £25 per month his med was only £18 every 3 months and the cover wouldn't cover his feet problem so we never bothered with it but now our vets bills in 4 years are now about £14-15,000 so wondering if maybes getting it for jack and coco would be worth it. Obv angel wont be covered as she is a dental bun.

Dentals is a grey areas. They *probably* would cover a dental as a 'goodwill' gesture if a stasis episode led to the discovery of the need for a dental, ie it was an emergency and potentially life threatening.

I got mine covered because we forever seem to have one or another having a stasis episode. They've paid out for all so far. I don't want to add up right now (scary) but in 6 months of premiums for 7 rabbits ie about £60 per month we are definitely on the winning side - that's just stasis episodes. Binky, Esme and Erin have all had midnight dashes for symptoms suggestive of bloat/blockage so each bill was approximately £200.

Thank you :) I can't decide whether or not to get them insured. It seems like a good thing to do, but I'd have to save money twice, because I'd have to pay for the vet bill and pen plan would give it back to me, is that right? So, although I get the money back, it would still be quite hard to save up money to pay for vet bills and pay pet plan every month.

Thank you :) I can't decide whether or not to get them insured. It seems like a good thing to do, but I'd have to save money twice, because I'd have to pay for the vet bill and pen plan would give it back to me, is that right? So, although I get the money back, it would still be quite hard to save up money to pay for vet bills and pay pet plan every month.

I would check with your vet if they will do a direct claim with PetPlan, if they will then you will only have to pay the excess to the vets and they will claim the rest for you.

The only time I haven't had a direct claim was when I had to rush Jack to the out of hours hospital with Impaction, but PetPlan paid out within the month. But my vets (where I now work) will not charge you anything apart from the excess and deals with the rest for you.

Back