• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for pregnancy

WeeblBunny

Young Bun
hello, im currently still unsure but i think my weebl may be pregnant. If she is its still very early days and i was wondering if weebl is going to need anything during her pregnancy to help her and keep her healthy as well as her babies

Thank you :D

if it's still very early she may be able to have an emergency spay.

ETA: or was this planned?

if it's still very early she may be able to have an emergency spay.

ETA: or was this planned?

:thumb: If it was planned then really this should all have been researched into beforehand. If you can, quickly find a responsible breeder in your area who can help mentor you through this and be contactable day and night, because you may be in for a very rocky ride.

it wasnt at all planned i bought a girl rabbit who turned out to be a boy. slightly embarassing for the breeder but its happened now. wasnt quit the advise i was looking for but thank you

shel do pretty much everything on her own.just ensure she has plenty of fresh hay and fesh veg.spring greens are meant be good :)

it wasnt at all planned i bought a girl rabbit who turned out to be a boy. slightly embarassing for the breeder but its happened now. wasnt quit the advise i was looking for but thank you

Rabbits being mis-sexed is very common indeed. Hopefully somebody will be able to give some useful advice on the pregnancy aspect. Is there anything particular that makes you think Weebl is pregnant or is it just a general worry, having realised your other bunny is a boy?

If you haven't already, it would be best to split them and get the little boy neutered so that the two can be rebonded once Weebl has either had her babies or you've determined she isn't expecting. :)

If you go ahead with having the kits then you need to be really prepared. I'll do my best to give the best info. I can I just need to ask these questions first.

How old is she? Hold old is the boy on separation? how long ago did you separate? What breeds are they? Is the male bigger?

weebl is about 4 years old but im unsure as i rescued her from an abandoned house. Periwinkle has just come into sexual maturity weebl is a big english and periwinkle is a lion head.

weebl is about 4 years old but im unsure as i rescued her from an abandoned house. Periwinkle has just come into sexual maturity weebl is a big english and periwinkle is a lion head.

Are they separated ??
If you don't want a litter then you could get her emergency spayed.
And get the male neutered too, so sexual hormonal tension will not be present in both rabbits.
Then after a month of each spay and neuter bond them back together again.

Are they separated ??
If you don't want a litter then you could get her emergency spayed.
And get the male neutered too, so sexual hormonal tension will not be present in both rabbits.
Then after a month of each spay and neuter bond them back together again.

I'd leave AT LEAST 8 weeks before reintroducing :wave:
Hope it works the way you like it to

Who is the female and who is the male?

If the female is the four year old, or the female is the lionhead then you need to look at an emergency spay and discuss it with your vets, no ifs or buts. Likely, if you allow the pregnancy to continue under either of those conditions you are likely to face losing your girlie. An emergency spay would hopefully prevent that.

Who is the female and who is the male?

If the female is the four year old, or the female is the lionhead then you need to look at an emergency spay and discuss it with your vets, no ifs or buts. Likely, if you allow the pregnancy to continue under either of those conditions you are likely to face losing your girlie. An emergency spay would hopefully prevent that.

Fab post, just thought I'd elaborate a little

If the female is the lionhead and the male is the french lop, there will be a high likelihood of complications due to the size. That's a very small bunny mom and a very big daddy, the kits will be larger than she can handle and she may well have a lot of problems during pregnancy and labour, which could be fatal for her.

If the female is 4 years old she's not in her peak for reproduction anymore and this can lead to a whole host of problems during the pregnancy. She is also likely to have ovarian and other reproductive tract tumours (as is very common in unspeyed females) which are obviously going to cause problems.

Although it may feel wrong to have an emergency spey (I don't know what your views are ethically on it), it is probably for the best in this situation. It could be very dangerous and possibly fatal for her to have these kits, and they will also be hard to *responsibly* rehome afterwards.

Hope our posts have helped :wave:

Fab post, just thought I'd elaborate a little

If the female is the lionhead and the male is the french lop, there will be a high likelihood of complications due to the size. That's a very small bunny mom and a very big daddy, the kits will be larger than she can handle and she may well have a lot of problems during pregnancy and labour, which could be fatal for her.

If the female is 4 years old she's not in her peak for reproduction anymore and this can lead to a whole host of problems during the pregnancy. She is also likely to have ovarian and other reproductive tract tumours (as is very common in unspeyed females) which are obviously going to cause problems.

Although it may feel wrong to have an emergency spey (I don't know what your views are ethically on it), it is probably for the best in this situation. It could be very dangerous and possibly fatal for her to have these kits, and they will also be hard to *responsibly* rehome afterwards.

Hope our posts have helped :wave:

Thanks. :wave:

To elaborate on the bold bit, lionheads are 'supposed' to be bred for the first time at 6-9 months old because a first time breeding after that becomes dangerous due to what happens within a bunny body when it ages. It makes it exceptionally difficult, painful and distressing for mum to actually kindle the kits successfully.

reading the post as you can see weebl is 4 and is a female hence the 'her' and periwinkle is the male lionhead. if any of you are offering to pay for the emergency spey then id be grateful i also live in a small flat so seperation is an issue at the moment. im trying to get in contact with the breeder see what they suggest

reading the post as you can see weebl is 4 and is a female hence the 'her' and periwinkle is the male lionhead. if any of you are offering to pay for the emergency spey then id be grateful i also live in a small flat so seperation is an issue at the moment. im trying to get in contact with the breeder see what they suggest

You definitely need to find a way to separate them because otherwise, if you let her pregnancy continue and she lives, she will be pregnant again as soon as she kindles.

I would suggest that this is the breeders error and she should help you sort this out. She should be happy to help you splitting them, even if it means him going back to her temporarily until he is neutered, and also giving you some money towards the spay.

It might be worth also contacting your vets, explaining tthe situation and seeing if they will give you a payment plan.

It may well work out cheaper to find a way to spay now, than to need emegerncy vets, emergency surgery, the drugs, etc, if she does kindle and something goes wrong.

I believe a rescue on here had a rabbit who went into labour and had complications and it cost hundreds to try and help the rabbit (thinking £400 plus, but I do feel it was more, maybe in the region of £700-900). A spay will cost, hopefully less than £100.

If you make the choice that you're not going to spay then I'll do my best to offer all the support and information you need. The breeder, if she is responsible, should also be a good person to ask too.

Last edited:
at 4 years old she is too old to have kits, if her 1st litter the kits will more than likely get stuck and can kill both babies and mum, if she ha had a litter before hand she will more than likely have them okay but she will kill them(it isnt the best of things to happen) either way they need to be seperated, if he tries to hump her and she is pregnant she will bit his testicles and can rip them out killing a buck. i would ring around some vets and try find a good savvy vet which offers payment plan. as i think the dafest way would be emergancy spay. i myself wouldnt risk losing my 4yr old bunny this way. iv bred mini lops lionlops,lionheads and mini rex for 7years, just recently given them up due to been lied to about a rabbits age and she killed her litter of babies its heartbreaking when it happens. so now i just enjoy my bunnies very much.
good luck with her and if u need any advice feel free to private message me
regards sarah x

You definitely need to find a way to separate them because otherwise, if you let her pregnancy continue and she lives, she will be pregnant again as soon as she kindles.

I would suggest that this is the breeders error and she should help you sort this out. She should be happy to help you splitting them, even if it means him going back to her temporarily until he is neutered, and also giving you some money towards the spay.

It might be worth also contacting your vets, explaining tthe situation and seeing if they will give you a payment plan.

It may well work out cheaper to find a way to spay now, than to need emegerncy vets, emergency surgery, the drugs, etc, if she does kindle and something goes wrong.

I believe a rescue on here had a rabbit who went into labour and had complications and it cost hundreds to try and help the rabbit (thinking £400 plus, but I do feel it was more, maybe in the region of £700-900). A spay will cost, hopefully less than £100.

If you make the choice that you're not going to spay then I'll do my best to offer all the support and information you need. The breeder, if she is responsible, should also be a good person to ask too.

Yes, her bill was £689 I believe :shock:

Back