• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny starting to look old

Rach&Dan

Young Bun
This maybe something out of nothing, our flopsy is three in september and recently she has started to look like shes old and tired.

Her behaviour is still the same, she isnt off her food, no acting strangely, is quite active.

This is a picture of her today looking old
264046_10150225123216467_641261466_7637292_233291_n.jpg

and one from when she was about 1
196192_1005372994129_1819026239_6299_8344788_n.jpg

are we worring over nothing?

Are you 100% sure about her age? Has she had a vet check?

Are her poos normal? Is she eating normally?

Three is still quite young for a rabbit. Unless she is not behaving normally then I wouldn't worry too much.

yeah we are certain about her age, even though she was a rescue bunny when her previous owners moved overseas, they had her from young from a breeder (we have her family tree!)

Poo and wee is fine, she is acting normally.

her ear looks a bit messy but Womble just groomed it!

its the fur over her eye thats making her look old i think

Three is not old for a bunny. Older is really 5-6+ at least and old more like 7-8+. I'd suggest a check up to see what the vet thinks of her general condition.

not yet but it is bein considered because sometimes she can be agressive to womble and it was suggested in another thread we have on here

I would take her to your Vet next week to enable the Vet to give her a thorough examination, paying particular attention to her uterus.

Do you monitor her weight and if so is it remaining stable or has she lost some in recent weeks

This maybe something out of nothing, our flopsy is three in september and recently she has started to look like shes old and tired.

Her behaviour is still the same, she isnt off her food, no acting strangely, is quite active.

This is a picture of her today looking old
264046_10150225123216467_641261466_7637292_233291_n.jpg

and one from when she was about 1
196192_1005372994129_1819026239_6299_8344788_n.jpg

are we worring over nothing?
yes!But I know what you mean,Barley is starting to look old in the fact that her fur is looking a mess.But,like yours,she is acting fine,maybe sleeping a little longer than usual,but she is actually eating more than usual too.At the end of the day 3 isn't old,so while she is active,try not to worry too much.:D

I would take her to your Vet next week to enable the Vet to give her a thorough examination, paying particular attention to her uterus.

Do you monitor her weight and if so is it remaining stable or has she lost some in recent weeks

her weight seems to be stable, she looks fatter in winter and goes a bit thinner in summer so again, nothing out the norm.

and willowholly, now you mention it, she does sleep a bit more than she used to

her weight seems to be stable, she looks fatter in winter and goes a bit thinner in summer so again, nothing out the norm.

and willowholly, now you mention it, she does sleep a bit more than she used to

Personally I would still get your Vet to examine her next week. Uterine abnormalities are very common in unspayed Does aged 3+ and the sooner a potential issue is identified the better the longterm prognosis.
Hopefully there is no problem at all, but I'd err on the side of caution :)

She does look much older in the first picture. It seems to have something to do with the look in her eye. Her eyes in the first picture look tired and worn as in the second pic she has the look of perky and youth. I agree about having a vet check her out. Julie has started to look old all of a sudden but she is 7. She sleeps more and has lost weight.

could it be just because she has gone through a moullt? x

we dont think shes molted for a while (since our first warm weather) coz when she gets a new coat she gets black nose and black blotches for a couple of weeks and is really ginger, then she goes this lighter blonde colour.

Womble is molting at the moment and looks a bit of a mess as he's about halfway through!

i just spent the morning looking at some old photos, shes always had thos tufts of fur on her top eyelids but they look longer now and i think thats whats making her look more tired/old looking

Maybe she just needs to moult. I have one rabbit who looks really scruffy right now because I'm sure she's going to moult soon :)

It would be no harm to get her checked over by a good rabbit vet though, and to think about getting her spayed :)

But it might just be nothing :) 3 year old rabbits just do look older than 1 year old ones, I guess. Maybe keep an eye on her weight, weigh her weekly, because weight loss could be a sign that there's something wrong. Keep an eye on her appetite and level of activity and everything too :)

Back