• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ellie peeing everywhere

sheridan

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

Ellie is my 5 and a half year old female rex who was spayed when she was a baby.
she is normally very good at peeing and pooping in her litter box but over the last 3 weeks I noticed she has started leaving little puddles over the hutch. I took her to the vet who said he couldnt see anything wrong with her but her bladder was empty so couldnt collect any urine for analysis.
he suggested bringing her in one day and letting him collect some urine, or just to start her on an antibiotic.

I said I would wait and see how she went.

everything was fine again but over the last 2 days she has had 2 little accidents not in her tray.

the vet is only open for a few hrs tomorrow so I cant drop her off.

should i just get the antibiotics tomorrow? I know that will mess up any urinalysis results. or can i wait to take her in on monday and get her checked over then?

Thanks very much

oh also her sister dies when she was coming up for 5 years old. I recently found out that she had started randomly peeing in other areas in the lead up to her death...

Did the Vet check her for signs of arthritis?

If she has a bit of age related arthritis she may find it painful to hop into a litter tray.

How are her hocks ? Any signs of furloss on them ?

Hi Jacks Jane,

I cant remember him checking her for that but she is still running about binkying whenever she feels like it. I have found pee stains on her carpet on the upper level and they are small amounts, not like she has emptied her bladder completely...

Her hocks have always had some fur loss. She runs about on concrete and as she is a rex she has developed callouses over the areas. they dont seem to bother her at all. They havent changed at all in the last 5 years.

well Ellie has been at the vet for 2 days now so that they could get a sterile urine sample.

A sample has finally been taken and has been sent away for culture. Ellie has been started on bactryl but the vet isnt sure if she does actually have anything wrong with her......

Back