• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just found this on ebay if any use to anyone

I don't think many people on here would buy that.
As sawdust isn't beneficial for rabbits, it's spiky and the sharp bits could poke eyes etc and they release an odour when pee'd on which causes respiratory infections.

is saw dust okies for piggies?

yeah most people use straw on here instead of sawdust its not good for your buns hun ^_^

She didn't say for use with bunnies...plenty of other people have other pets which are okay on sawdust. No need to jump down her throat when she's just doing someone a favour...

yeah most people use straw on here instead of sawdust its not good for your buns hun ^_^

I just use newspaper and blankets. But Buckley says I always put them in his bed wrong, I don't scrunch the newspaper or twist the blankets enough.

I've seen a lot of people with g.piggies with with huge, expensive and well thought out setups using sawdust, so I assume if they put that much money/care into their housing and toys and are using it that it's okay to use. :) not sure though

She didn't say for use with bunnies...plenty of other people have other pets which are okay on sawdust. No need to jump down her throat when she's just doing someone a favour...

Wasn't jumping..
And this thread is posted in rabbit chat [so anything posted in this section is to do with rabbits]

I think :roll:

it would help people with other pets so thank you hawk ^_^

however I think peopel on here rather than wanting to be nasty and jump on you just wanted to let you know how bad it is for buns so they could help your bun

I dont think any of them wanted to be nasty hope you didnt think they were having a go at you

Wasn't jumping..
And this thread is posted in rabbit chat [so anything posted in this section is to do with rabbits]

I think :roll:

Agreed.

And I also agree that it wouldn't be a recommended bedding for rabbits but it was nice of the OP to suggest if they weren't aware of the health risks to rabbits. They are now aware that it's not a good idea for buns. (for the reasons that Whitehood mentioned).

I don't think many people on here would buy that.
As sawdust isn't beneficial for rabbits, it's spiky and the sharp bits could poke eyes etc and they release an odour when pee'd on which causes respiratory infections.

Totally agree, sawdust / shavings are not suitable for any small animal for the same reasons.

i use sawdust for mine in there litter trays. they hate blankets and paper and just about anything else for this matter so i use sawdust,straw and hay!

Thankyou for posting it and thinking of us in that some people may be interested but yes it isn't very good for pets I'm afriad, my guinea pigs were on sawdust for years but when I got them I changed to fleece and megazorb, they have noisy breathing and the vet says they'll probably be stuck with that from getting resp probs most likely from the dusty sawdust.

Thankyou for posting it and thinking of us in that some people may be interested but yes it isn't very good for pets I'm afriad, my guinea pigs were on sawdust for years but when I got them I changed to fleece and megazorb, they have noisy breathing and the vet says they'll probably be stuck with that from getting resp probs most likely from the dusty sawdust.

Didn't your vet try to stop it ?

Didn't your vet try to stop it ?

Oh yes, they had treatment which stopped their sneezing and very noisy breathing but they have some lung scarring (I think that's what you call it in guinea pigs too) although they don't let it affect them and sometimes it's unnoticable.

Oh yes, they had treatment which stopped their sneezing and very noisy breathing but they have some lung scarring (I think that's what you call it in guinea pigs too) although they don't let it affect them and sometimes it's unnoticable.

Ok I thought your vet said yeah they have respiratory infections, bye :oops:

i use sawdust for mine in there litter trays. they hate blankets and paper and just about anything else for this matter so i use sawdust,straw and hay!

then just use straw and paper you really dont need sawdust please.... for the safty of your bunny stop using it :(

Back