• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After care

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi, my rabbit got neutered yesterday, he seems to be doing ok but a bit quiter than normal, he is eating but alot slower than normal, is that normal, I know we dont feel like eating loads after ops but just want to know what is normal for a rabbit. If his eating some is that fine or should he be eating really well before calling vets??:wave:

Also, not that he has ever had a diarroeah but if it was ever to happen what do you do, do you call vet immediatley or do you just stick to hay and water for 24 hours then call vet if still happening?x

It can take a couple of days to eat properly, as long as he is eating some food today and drinking and pooping then it should be nothing to worry about and he should pick up within a day or 2 :D Obviously if he slows down any more or stops altogether get him back to the vets for another shot of gut stimulant.

Also with diarrhoea I would get them straight to the vets, not wait.

ok thats great thanks very much, he is eating little so will keep encouraging him as well, he hasnt drunk much though, shall I put some in a bowl do you think?

What would the vet do if they diaroeah? is it costly? just preparing myself for little things you see.xx

When my girl had Coccidiosis they put her on antibiotics and sub cutanious fluid but it depends on the cause and if the antibiotics help clear it up or not as to the price.

Try giving him a bowl, if he still won't drink then try syringe feeding him some.

Is he pooing?

I would just keep on offering him lots of tempting foods for a while more and assess again later if he hasn't picked up. He may prefer water from a bowl, so it wouldn't hurt to offer him some. :)

As for the diarrhoea, it depends.

Rabbits do small poops rather like bunches of grapes - sometimes they don't eat these and they can look like squidgy cowpats. :mrgreen: If this happens, I stop feeding veg for a day and offer lots of hay then take to the vet if it's still occurring.

If it's true diarrhoea (ie. very liquid) then I would call the vet immediately.

thats great info, thanks KarenM!!! Just like to know what to do and be prepared if things happen.xxx

He is pooing and has done wees. He is eating some pellets and last night and today has eaten his greens, and eating small amounts of hay, i've got water in his bottle and now put some in his bowl, i've given bit of cucumber as heard someone say they giv this sometimes if they are worried they not getting enough of water, so will see how he gets on.xxx

It sounds like he's doing pretty well and you should hopefully see an increased appetite as the day goes on.

You can also offer things like the greens slightly wet (and the greens themselves also contain water).

Back