• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your experience on moulting please....

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Benson and Lola are just 2. So this is their second moult after a cold winter. It just seems to be much heavier than I remember their first one being. So I'm thinking......

1. As they get older does their winter coat develop further and hence the summer moult be heavier?

2. Would the moult be heavier after a worse winter. Although if I recall the first winter I had them was pretty cold too.

The hair is just falling out of them in great handfuls!! It just wont seem to stop! They're in the best of form.

Do older bunnies just moult more? I have no experience - every new experience with them is the first one I've ever had with bunnies. Sorry to be so dim! :roll:

Mischa doesn't moult any more than Mini does but then he's only a year older. I would think the colder winter would be what's making the difference, thicker coat in winter = more to shed in summer.

Mischa doesn't moult any more than Mini does but then he's only a year older. I would think the colder winter would be what's making the difference, thicker coat in winter = more to shed in summer.

Well that does make sense. It was a particularly cold one and my guys live outside with no heater! Might get a heater of some sort for this winter, although they seem to thrive in the coldest of weather.

Do you know why a moult can take it out of a bunny?

Well that does make sense. It was a particularly cold one and my guys live outside with no heater! Might get a heater of some sort for this winter, although they seem to thrive in the coldest of weather.

Do you know why a moult can take it out of a bunny?

I think it's the energy needed. I guess if their little bodies are having to produce new fur that it takes it out of them? Mine never seem to be more lethargic at moult-time but Mini's sticky bum seems to flare up a bit whenever she's in a big moult.

Hmmm. Complex little creatures! Nice chatting, but I'm off to bed now! Regards and snuggles to your bunsters!!

Back