• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hungrey bun.

rolo

Alpha Buck
Rolo-bun is always STARVING these days. He's about 1 yr old and neutered.

He gets half an eggcup ful of pellets a day and loads of fresh veg, leaves, hay etc.

He's even started to try and get food from the dogs bowl:shock:

Could he be going through a growth spurt? Or is he just being greedy? I dont want him to get overweight and be unhealthy. He weighs about 6lb's and is a lop. He's about the size of a large rugby ball.

Any ideas?

Rach x

? I feed mine a bowl full of pellets in the mornings. Yes, he is slightly overweight - but I don't like to feel his ribs - and he is still always hungry!

Some bunnies are just greed monsters :lol:

Sounds like he is getting enough, he won't go hungry, but if he is one of those buns who just likes to have his jaws going, just keep giving him hay. Should stop him being hungry and won't make him put on weight.

Yeh all of mine are greedy bunsters aswell, they'd eat constantly if they could :roll:
I feed mine an egg cup full each of pellets every morning and they're a very good weight, so maybe try upping it to a whole egg cup :wave:

You wouldnt believe how against the egg cup I am,personally.I introduced my 2 to Science select and gave egg cups.My Lily lost so much weight, she was cold,hunched and 535grams.Ian gave Lily a week to pick up or PTS.
I separated her from BB,upped the food, and shes thriving, so I reintroduced the buns again and havent reduced the food.

Thanks everyone. :)

Rolo had a HUGE breakfast this morning...hawthorne leaves and sticks, rose leaf, blackberry leaf and dandelions. And some pellets. He's, now laid across the rug and seems content:p He's got his bag of hay by his side so he can munch.

Will give him some more leaves as a snack at lunch.

Rach x

Many Kids will always be hungry for sweets in the same way that most rabbits will always be hungry for pellets. Obviously there are some bunnies who need more than the average eggcup, and some bunnies who need less, but as a general rule, most bunnies will go crazy for them.

As long as they have access to unlimited hay (or whatever is used as a staple for their diet- for the majority of rabbits this will be hay/grass) then don't worry because they always have access to food.

Many Kids will always be hungry for sweets in the same way that most rabbits will always be hungry for pellets. Obviously there are some bunnies who need more than the average eggcup, and some bunnies who need less, but as a general rule, most bunnies will go crazy for them.

As long as they have access to unlimited hay (or whatever is used as a staple for their diet- for the majority of rabbits this will be hay/grass) then don't worry because they always have access to food.

i hear that kid comment,my youngest whos 2 does not stop from the moment the boys eyes open in the morning mummeeeeeeeeee i wanna eat,i would love to se what happened if i left him in sainsburys for the night xx

One of the vet nurses where I work always likens it to junk food, when people say they feed a whole bowl of pellets which their bunny eats but never touches hay she says "if someone was to offer you a galaxy caramel bar or a plain salad which would you prefer"

I know I would always go for the galaxy :lol:

I give both of mine a handful of pellets in the morning and maybe half a handful a night, some veggies etc and they still gobble up all their hay

please get your bunny checked at the vet to see if he's within a normal weight range. Half an eggcupful of pellets a day is very little in my opinion.

I was the one who first suggested that measure and boy- am I regretting it!!

I gave a large eggcupful of pellets twice a day per bunny. (and eggcup sizes vary too!!)

But that seems to have got less and less like chinese whispers!

If your bunny is hungry for goodness sake give him some more!!

If he starts to get overweight then that is the time to cut back a little till you find the right amount for your bunny.

Just as people are different builds and have different metabolisms so do rabbits. You cannot compare a french lop with a tiny dwarf nethie!!

sue:wave:

Back