• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats wrong with my bunny?

Della33

Young Bun
This morning bunny wasn't remotely interested in breakfast (very out of character) he ate his hay through the night, I left his food for him iv just come in from work and he's not eaten it, he's been to the toilet. He feels cold so iv covered him with a towel and he's laying down I got him out and cuddled him and felt his tummy its soft. He ran away. Why isn't he hungry he doesn't even want his favourite, basil! :-( he's been to vets recently for sedation but has recovered well had several check ups and vet says he's doing great, why the sudden decline :-( worried mummy!

Your rabbit needs to see a vet ASAP.Its very serious when a bun stops eating,can you get him on a heat pad while your phoning the vet?Good luck

Give him a gentle tummy rub and try him with grass and dandelions.

If it was me I would make an appointment for tomorrow morning at the vets and cancel it if he had started eating during the night and wants breakfast. You will be able to tell if there are any fresh poos around.

Iv gt him wrapped in a towel on my knee he looks so ill his nose isn't twitchy :( I'm so scared! I cnt get him to the vets I have no transport :'( xx

Iv gt him wrapped in a towel on my knee he looks so ill his nose isn't twitchy :( I'm so scared! I cnt get him to the vets I have no transport :'( xx

Taxi? Bus? family member or friend?

Ask for a home visit?

I definitely agree he needs a vet tonight and it's important you find anyway you can to get him there.

Can you get a taxi or a lift? Its urgent that you get him to a vet as soon as possible

It could be anything,thats why he needs to get examined by a vet and get appropriate medication as soon as possible.Rabbits can go down hill very quickly.Im sorry if Im making your worried but its vital for his survival.Good luck

Home from vet bunnys guts aren't working too good so he's on metacam antibiotics and critical care for 7 days very close eye to be kept on him so unusual for him so be so cuddly love my bunny xx

He just looks so sad sitting in his little cage he usually plays runs and eats his basil and he just turns away :( poor baby. He's had some critical care syringe food which is good but I love seeing him eat his dinner up :( he must feel rubbish :( xx

Did your vet give him,sorry don't know his name,any gut stimulants?The thing is you acted quickly so hopefully your beautiful boy will make a full recovery.Please keep us updated and I just wanted to say its obvious you love your bunny dearly xxxxxxxx

Did your vet give him,sorry don't know his name,any gut stimulants?The thing is you acted quickly so hopefully your beautiful boy will make a full recovery.Please keep us updated and I just wanted to say its obvious you love your bunny dearly xxxxxxxx

Metacloperamide I tink you mean. Its a gut stimulant, and is usually given in these circumstances :wave:

No she didnt give him anything like that (his names Bunny - original I know) he's got metacam in case he's in any pain and some kind of antibiotic in case he has an infection, she said his guts are moving but not as well as she'd like. I've given him a dose of each and also 4mls of his critical care food which he has had everytime he's had sedation or anesthetic.
I do love him so much! Going to put a photo on here when this thingy lets me!
xxx

Back