• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to choose a vets - opinions needed!

Hello,

I wonder if you guys could help me with a bit of research i'm doing. I'm looking into what people look for when choosing a veterinary practice.

How did you find yours? Why do you stay? How important is cost?

I'm planning to put together a mini white paper of sorts with all my findings so i'd really appreciate your input.:)

with my vets it was important to me cos we had just moved house and my dog got run over we had been here 2 days so didnt have a vet or any idea where there was one so word of mouth was important.....and they were absolutely stupendous and still are

I found my vet through a recommendation on here (thank you Jack's Jane).
My previous vet had spoken to me like I didn't deserve to know what he was prescribing my bunny. He said "I'll give him some antibiotics" I asked which ones and he went "Oh, I didn't realise you were a qualified veterinary surgeon" (literally wanted to punch him).

He also didn't give us a plan of action, explain any of his decisions or anything.

The vet we went to after the recommendation is literally like the god of bunnies I swear. He included me in all of the decision making with the treatment, took into account Buckley's personality, what he is comfortable with, he explained everything to me, explained why he was giving one drug instead of the others, etc. He was like "the main abx we can use are X, Y, and Z. I would like to use X because it has less impact on gut flora, it doesn't interfere with bone and cartilage development, whereas Y and Z do interfere with gut flora, Y interferes with bone growth, and Z is generally what I would use if X and Y fail to treat the problem"
He answers all my questions without making me feel stupid, Buckley likes him, and he seems to take a genuine interest in Buckley's progress.
So yeah, even though I know he knows more than me on the subject of bunny health, he still acknowledges that intellectually we're on the same plane and communicates with me on an equal level, he never talks down to me, and never acts like we're interrupting his day (the old vet seemed to think that treating bunnies was beneath him). Our current vet also talks to Buckley too, like when he's doing something to Buckley (checking his mouth, taking his temp, etc.) he's always talking to Buckley in a soothing voice saying "it's ok Buckley, I'm sorry I know this isn't nice for you but it's so we know how to make you better" and stuff.

I also feel comfortable seeing other vets at the surgery because they all work with him, and if they are unsure of what needs to be done next, they go to him for advice, they don't try and wing it.

Cost doesn't matter to me but I feel our vet is very reasonably priced for how good they are. A vet consult + 10 days abx comes to about 30 pounds. Myxi jabs are £18, I don't know about VHD yet as Buckley hasn't been well enough to have it done.

They also sell a good range of bunny supplies from basics such as hay, to treats, and toys. And the receptionists are lovely.

It's basically like heaven compared to the other vets haha.

Back