• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buttercups eye injury/ulcer *graphic image*

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Came home today to find buttercups eye like this :shock::(

f8253842.jpg

4230b3a5.jpg

Took her straight to the vets, it is very swollen and ulcerated probably from being poked with hay. She is now on bayril and I have to put eye drops in every two hours in the hope the eye can be saved, It is almost at bursting point. Poor Buttercup :(

Oh the poor girl, it looks so painful :shock::(

Does she have pain relief?

I hope she feels better very soon :wave:

Oh no :( We had a guinea pig come in with an eye similar to that a few months ago that had to be removed. He's doing great though, all the hair has grown over and he's a happy chap. Fingers crossed your little guy doesn't have to go through that.

I put eye drops in every 2 hours overnight, felt like having a newborn baby again! There is possibly a slight improvement in the eye today it looks less green so well worth the sleepless night for me. Back to the vets this evening so fingers crossed we won't need to take more drastic action.

Eyes not good and vet unsure what to do with it, it's not just ulcerated but has a massive infection and may burst:( i have to continue with drops every two hours and take her back first thing in the morning and she made need surgery, but what surgery they are not sure what to do, they may scrape the surface and infection out or suture the eye up.

Has anyone had the same thing,what did they do, did it work?

And can have some healing vibes for buttercup too, I think she needs all the help she can get :(

Oh no poor Buttercup.

Healing vibes for the lovely lady. I hope whatever the vet has to do works Tanya and she's back to normal real soon.

When dogs have an ulcer on their eyes something called a grid keratotomy is done. This involves removing the damaged area with a blade, stratching the eye with a needle over the ulcer and then the third eyelid is then stitched over. Never seen it done in a guinea pig but it is very painful, dogs always have to go home with a buster coller on to stop them rubbing their faces.

So not sure if they'd do something similar to that?

When dogs have an ulcer on their eyes something called a grid keratotomy is done. This involves removing the damaged area with a blade, stratching the eye with a needle over the ulcer and then the third eyelid is then stitched over. Never seen it done in a guinea pig but it is very painful, dogs always have to go home with a buster coller on to stop them rubbing their faces.

So not sure if they'd do something similar to that?

Yes my dog pringle had this done, not very nice and he had to keep going back to have it scratched :( it took about 3 months to heal!

The vet said he would like to do the same thing but as a guinea pig doesn't have a third eyelid it wouldnt work, thought about stitching the eye up but then we wouldn't be able to put drops in.

The eye is looking slightly less infected today with a rim of new red blood vessels around the edge, can't remember the name for that but its a good thing as blood flow to the eye is needed to heal it. So she didn't have an op today but we have to continue with antibiotics, eye drops now every four hours(phew) and meloxicam and recheck next week unless it gets worse over the weekend.

Just seeing how u where getting along, hope Buttercups getting better x

Yes thank you, we were back at the vets yesterday and ulcer/abcess is getting alot smaller, they're still not sure if it will heal in the centre or if that bit will need scraping off but it is looking very promising :)

so sorry to hear about Buttercup:( i hope her eye shows signs of improvement and the eye can be saved i have recently been through a very similar thing with one of my own guinea pigs, Sophie, i was horrrified to find that literally overnight her whole eye had turned completely cloudy, i took her straight to the Vet's and they thought it was a piece of hay that had poked her in the eye and caused an ulcer, she had to have eye drops three times a day for a month and i was back and forth to the Vet's for check ups for about a month before it finally healed, but we did get there in the end, so hopefully that has give you some hope that as bad as it seems , things do sometimes heal when you don't expect them to, Sophie's eye wasn't infected but although at first after a few days on the drops the cloudiness subsided a few days later it looked very raw and angry again and i took her back sooner than i was supposed to,to be checked, 4 (!!) vets on duty had a look and concluded the redness was scar tissue forming and all part of the healing process and showing signs of healthy new tissue, Sophie was a little star and never minded the countless eye checks, dye in her eye and being prodded and poked around and just sat there whildt i applied her drops, she is fine now , i wish Buttercup a full recovery and hoping her eye gets better each day, just wanted you to know although it can take ages , they can geal well eventually

Back