• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If I want to spend £100s on vet care for a rabbit...

Whats that got to do with anyone else?!!

My bosses were asking about my rabbit who was sick today, and what had happened to him and I explained about all the investigative treatment he had, before the vet discovered that it was just his time to go (Bare in mind I was thinking they were asking as animal lovers)

J then asked how much this all cost and I told him roughly what it was, he almost fell off his chair in shock, "You spent that on a bloody rabbit, an ancient rabbit at that, should have brought it to me, I'd have done it for 3 quid"

Then his wife C joined in saying how she'd probably have had him PTS first, then have a post mortem done.

I said that was a reasonable idea, but if I'd done that and found it was something treatable I'd never forgive myself. He was my responsibility from birth until death, and whatever it cost to keep him happy and healthy was down to me. Then they decided to call me soft, and I can't remember the exact words used, but implied that because I care about small animals, that somehow makes me immature and stupid!

I guess some people are just too "old school" to see how wonderfull, and loving bunnies are :(

They are ignorant, they have no idea what it is like to have a stong bond with a small animal, but that is no excuse to speak to you the way they have, it is insensitive.

They will most likely come across a person one day who says the same thing about the animal they love and then they will have some idea about how they made you feel.

we spent nearly £900.00 on our bun jolie to try and rid her of an ear infection, but sadly it took over and we lost her....i would do it again if i had to

I have spent over £500 on Bosley(piggie) in the last few months, I would do it for any of my animals. Your boss is a :censored:

its disgusting but people at my ex work were the same.... and they found it funny to ask how they were and when I said at the vets and im worried they would laugh saying its just a rabbit you can get another...

people see them as disposable

It's wrong that people think like this. My bosses would do anything for their pets, 2 dogs, cat, parrot and 4 horses... although I personally think they care for 2 of the horses much more than the other 2... could be wrong, but thats how it seems.

But I'm stupid because BamBam was a rabbit. But he was my rabbit, my baby boy!

linny - so sorry about Jolie - She was lucky to have you.

And Sally - Mega vibes to Bosley, hope he is better soon - And he is lucky to have you!

It seems like we're such a small minority trying to stand up for these little ones :(

some people are just horrible. :evil: and to say that when you're upset aswell. :evil:

i would spend every penny i had on my pets if they needed it. shame other people see them as disposable :(

I know just how you feel. When reel in shock just at the cost of insuring rabbits when I tell them and tell me it's not worth it.

It's very irritating and I don't understand why everyone needs to give their opinion it. :?

thank you Mischief and Tinker's Mum and originalflintstone..it's what you do for your babies no question

I too have had to listen to stupid people & their insensitive comments too:censored:Over the years my hubby & I must have spent thousands on our bunnies health-it's my responsibility to make sure they're ok& that also has applied to all the rats,guinea pigs & degus' we've had the pleasure of sharing our lives with.why do some people seem to have the opinion that the smaller the creature the less they matter?
One example of this several years ago was when Dudley,our gorgeous conti giant fell ill.we spent £1000 on his treatment but sadly still lost him,we'd have spent it again if we could have saved him but people at my job at the time laughed & said "it's a rabbit,it'd been cheaper to buy another one!" sorry but I've only got 2 words for people like that-ignorant :censored:holes!!!!
Rant over;)

I have spent £100's on Hopscotch and am willing to spend as much as it takes to get him better (still currently undergoing treatment).

People always have a smart comment to make about it.

"how's your rabbit?"
"yeah he's okay thanks"
"how's your bank balance?"

Hahaha. None of your business :evil:

Just ignore them....or at most, feel sorry for them, because they don't know what it's like to have such a bodn with an animal and they probably never will.

My previous colleagues were the same, I made the mistake of saying that Sorrel was ill, and after that they were forever telling me to break her neck and buy a new rabbit as it would be cheaper :(

I can see that to someone who hasn't had pets, the idea of unexpected £500 bills would seem quite shocking, but there's no need to be rude and judgemental about it.

I wonder what they spend their money on? I bet it's all nonsense.

my parents stopped thinking about how much they were spending on vet treatment. If somebun was ill and needed treatment, they got it. You can't just put a sick animal to sleep if there's a chance it could be treated :? Mum just used to open her chequebook and sign!

It does annoy me when people say 'it's just a rabbit'. I prefer rabbits to cats, why shouldn't rabbits get a fair chance :?

x

people dont understand that they are actually parts of the family.

when we tell people we spent £400 on zoidbergs toe operation, they think we're crazy, and then you get the obvious comment:

"i'd have done it for £20" :roll:

i'd spend as much money as i have on my rabbits, as i see them as part of the family.

I'm glad there are people in this world that think bunnies deserve whatever they cost to keep them healthy. It's tragic that we're such a tiny minority.

I see all my pets as equals. From the pony down to the degu's. I dread to think what they have all cost me in vet care over the years, but they are all worth every penny and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!

And more to the point why do people have to make stupid comments. What is the actual point!?!

Although I think Clutterydrawer is spot on :wave:, Yes I do feel sorry for them, they'll never understand what bunny love is!

How awful for you to lose your bunny :cry: How terribly insensitive of the people at work.

I was inconsolable when I lost my budgie, named Blue (erm, because he was blue!). I'd had him for about 3 years and he was so tame he was lovely. Luckily no-one was that spiteful towards me. I know he was a small bird, but it left a hole in my life for a while as he was quite a friendly little chap and used to sit on my finger and go to sleep for ages! RIP Blue Boy x x :cry:

Pets get under your skin and become part of the family - they're like children and for some people who can't/didn't have children, they are their children. Some people can be so cruel, sometimes without even realising it.

Back