• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing Hay

TriL1

Warren Scout
How does everyone store there hay? I have one of those plastic toy tidy things and have put a small bale in there which outside in our shed is that ok?:wave:

I have a garden storage box, like a toy box but for garden cushions. It's supposed to be waterproof but I don't trust it so I store the box in the garage too. Also, if it's in the sun you might get condensation inside the box if it's plastic like mine.

We're planning on getting a bike shed for all the bunny bits to make more space in the garage but it's a way off yet.

That be good to have something seperate to store all your bits, you have quite a few bits to store especially if you buy in bulk. I just bought a few bales of hay which i've put one in the tub and then rest are plastic bags, i've opened them bit to air, it is in a shed so its dark and cool but it does tend to get damp in winter so I think i'll just buy one or two small bales at a time next time and bring the toy tub indoors into a closet we have its dark, no dampness no hot air or anything and then/ I have a hesian bag too so can put the second bag in there. What is the issue with mice? as the tub is open and the shed door doesnt close very well either?x

That's the reason why we keep ours in a box with a lid so the mice can't get to it. ;) you could try keeping it up off the ground but I'd raise it a good couple of ft.

ok thank you. I may bring the tub in and get the other bales i've bought for now looked after at my parents house in their shed. Thanks very much for your help. If its kept in a box with lid is it meant to have some holes in at all?? just checking as im bit unsure with all this. Or do you think I should buy a plastic bin with lid?

I just keep it in the bag it comes in and in the shed! for the indoor buns I bought a hay bag online so use tht! x

ok, there are some nails on the wall, so i've hooked up the tub with bale in and the other bales on the nails, do you think thats ok, even if they don't have a lid?

ok thank you. I may bring the tub in and get the other bales i've bought for now looked after at my parents house in their shed. Thanks very much for your help. If its kept in a box with lid is it meant to have some holes in at all?? just checking as im bit unsure with all this. Or do you think I should buy a plastic bin with lid?

My box isn't sealed if you see what i mean, the lid just rests on top. That seems to give it enough air flow. Although one of those big bales lasts us a month so it doesn't hang around.

I have a outdoor cushion box for one bale and another in a wheelie bin which has bricks at the bottom to keep it off the ground and the bin is kept in the shade.

Right now I buy store bought Timothy hay so I have it in the little bag it comes in next to my bun cages.

When I get bales I'll keep them in the garage, just sitting on some newspaper and with maybe a blanket over it so that it keeps the 'fresh hay smell' in since my bunnies like fresh smelling hay.

I was getting bit confused as they say it needs to breath but not to sweat and that some bins can make it sweat if in the warm - agggh!! thats why thought i'd ask on here.xx Mines going to stay in the shed, at the mo i've just pierced some holes in the plastic bag and put the other bale open in one of those plastic toy tidy things.x I've hooked it on some nails on the side of the shed so no mice (if there are any around) can get in there, Im just going to buy one or two bales at a time next time as I got 4! I've heard some people say they put it a duvet as well! thats quite a good website you looked at though.x

Mine has never sweated but as I say, it's in the garage which is always cool and not exposed to heat. A duvet cover didn't protect it enough for me, the bottom got damp and mice ate through the duvet cover :evil:

Back