• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating "special" poops is surely essential!?

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all...just wanted to check...Ive found a few of the ceacs (sp) poops the last few days and said to OH we must not give them too much nuggets .....they need to eat their poops...

OH said...surely if they leave their poops it means they are getting enough nutrients etc anyways and its ok? They would only need to eat them if they were not getting the nutrients form elsewhere.

I was abit stumped as I said no - they will get them from their poops...but couldnt explain that if they werent eating them & were getting them from their nuggets..it was not ok.:?:oops:
I also said that it "ups" the chances of flystrike if they have messy poops about that they havent eaten.

Can someone clever clarify this so I can answer OH with abit more believable knowledge...

thankyou!:D

Yep!! Tis all true!!
Are the buns on any meds?? Sometimes, meds changes the taste to these delectable morsls and buns wont eat them!!:wave:

Yep!! Tis all true!!
Are the buns on any meds?? Sometimes, meds changes the taste to these delectable morsls and buns wont eat them!!:wave:

:oops:sorry - do you mean the thread title is true? or what OH says?

No the buns are not on any meds....they are in fact just getting (I think) extra nugget treats from OH!:roll:
But Ive also started to give them some dried& fresh hawthorn so might be a change in their diets...

I just want to be able to undertsand why its not good for them to not be eating their poops...and be able to explain why nutrients from nuggets is not a substitute for nutrients from their poops. But I dont know why.:oops:

What you said is true!!
It maybe a change to the diet, it maybe too many pellets, it maybe meds.Various reasons, but if they get splodged, flies...and you know the rest.xx

It's not good for them because they need to get from their poops stuff that isn't in the nuggets the first time they're digested. Even if they're eating more nuggets they might not be getting the necessary nutrients because they can only absorb these in the 2nd digestive round (i.e. from their special poops). It's all special gut flora stuff.
Also just remind your oh, they shouldn't be given too many nuggets because overfeeding of the nuggets can lead to obesity which (as we know) brings with it a whole plethora of associated health problems.

They don't digest everything the first time round. It doesn't matter how many pellets they eat they'll only get the same bits from it if you like. Its only when they re-eat them that it gets digested further and the rest of the goodness is got at.

If you are interested further it goes in to tonnes of detail in Rabbit Nutrition and Nutritional Healing by Lucile Moore.

Last edited:
Thankyou very much guys...stupid I know...but seems I get abit flustered when trying to explain something Im not sure how to explain...

I will have a read and explain about the 2nd digestion bit...I did think that but didnt like to say incase I was wrong...:roll::oops:

Thankyou very much!:wave:

Don't worry. I am reading the book i just mentioned, its really interesting but i think I'm going to have to read it a few times before I understand it properly.

Don't worry. I am reading the book i just mentioned, its really interesting but i think I'm going to have to read it a few times before I understand it properly.

yeah - I know what you mean...Ive got a medicine & surgery book...gets abit confusing too..:)

i thought so, but Holly has left special poops since the day i bought her home (over a year ago now) no matter what i tried with her diet :? and shes still totally fit and healthy :wave: i have seen her eating some so she don't leave them all.... my theory >>>> she sleeps so deep she don't feel them come out and then refuses them cold.... a few times i have woken her in the day and when shes moved there was a poop :lol: shes really groggy when she first wakes up too :love: so much for being a prey animal and always alert :shock:

Back