• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can fat kits miss a feed?

Mileycyrus

New Kit
I have 4 kits in the nest at day 8. They were all identical sizes at day 1 but I have lost one.

Can I remove the two fat cats for 24 hours to give the other 2 small ones a fighting chance. ?

You've already been told that this is a bad idea and what to do to help the situation.

Why do you keep asking the same question? Are you not happy with the answer you are getting?

I think my advice on this has been clear, which is 'no, it's not ok to starve your kits'. Other people have responded and said the same thing. In that respect, that is the only answer you are going to get.

When you had the foetal giants I gave you this advice

Sky-O said:
There are at least two things that you can do to ensure this doesn't happen again (neither of them related to protein in the diet), however, this is something you should have researched prior to breeding. It sounds like your knowledge is not as good as it should be, and for that reason you should not be breeding. If you still want to, then you need to find a responsible breeder local to you and see if they will mentor you.

I suggested to you originally to get a local responsible breeder to mentor you, so my suggestion is to contact them and invite them round to look at your kits and take their advice, given that you don't seem to want to take ours.

Last edited:
The answer will still be no.....no matter how many times you ask the question.
If she failed to have a 'proper' litter last time why did you breed her again? So soon too :( Poor bunny :cry:

If the mother is happy to have you handling the kits, the better option would be to hold the smaller two to a nipple for an extra feed. It's important to remember milk is not just food, it is liquid - without a feed the babies will dehydrate.

Has she lost babies before? If so it maybe there is something genetically wrong rather than they aren't eating enough.

If the mother is happy to have you handling the kits, the better option would be to hold the smaller two to a nipple for an extra feed. It's important to remember milk is not just food, it is liquid - without a feed the babies will dehydrate.

Has she lost babies before? If so it maybe there is something genetically wrong rather than they aren't eating enough.

It's always helpful with someone at the top replies with what you have already said, (genuinely- not sarcastically).

Maybe this post might be of use to you given that it's come from the person that runs the forum :)

My baby at birth was 8lbs 10oz. Because she was a large baby, I didnt keep a feed from her.
Its the same situation,I think.:wave:

Thank you all

I have had some trouble navigating the forum pages. Your responses have been noted and helpful. I have already tried assisted extra feeds, so I will now need to let nature take it's course.

Sky-O, I responded to your query about type of feed I was supplying my doe and never heard back from you.

I have had some trouble navigating the forum pages. Your responses have been noted and helpful. I have already tried assisted extra feeds, so I will now need to let nature take it's course.

Sky-O, I responded to your query about type of feed I was supplying my doe and never heard back from you.

I would suggest reading your previous threads.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297391

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297609

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297607

I didn't ask what type of feed you were feeding, I asked if you were feeding unlimited food which you were, so therefore there was no issue with you restricting food and slowing down milk production, so therefore I answered the other queries you had at the time.

I am no expert but I presume that if you did this there health would drop quite quickly and you would end up with 4 under nourished babies.

Back