• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lactulose

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I just saw Jane's post about Lactulose, but didn't want to hi-jack the thread.

I didn't realise that lactulose was safe for rabbits because it has lactose in, which I always thought rabbits were intolerant to.

Does the lactose in it not cause a problem in bunnies in this form?

I don't think it contains lactose :wave:

'Apparently it contains galactose which is another milk sugar I think.' Jack-jane.....many moons ago :D

'Apparently it contains galactose which is another milk sugar I think.' Jack-jane.....many moons ago :D

A quick google says it contails lactose and galactose

Ah ok, is it different from pepole lactulose then?

The lactulose I have here says

'The active ingredient is lactulose. the other ingredients are lactose, glactose, tagtose and other kestoses, purified water'

Ah ok, is it different from pepole lactulose then?

The lactulose I have here says

'The active ingredient is lactulose. the other ingredients are lactose, glactose, tagtose and other kestoses, purified water'

I dont know tbh...I was just going on a thread AGES ago :oops:
There may be a difference in the human use and bunny one though

The amount of Lactose per Rabbit dose is microscopic and the benefits by far out-weigh any risk.

Lactulose has been a life saver for at least two of my 'impacted cecum' Rabbits :)

ETA- Here is a quote from Marie(Kubiak)

I can only suggest adding tramadol in instead of buprenorphine - I find it is less sedative but still gives good analgesia so you may be able to reduce the metacam dose. Lactulose may also be beneficial at improving hepatic toxin removal, and at worst will do nothing!

Last edited:
Back