• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

red/pink wee?

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave: When I was cleaning out the hutch this morning I noticed that the wee had stained the newspaper pinkish and quite a bit of it too. This has happened before but I put it down to giving the rabbits (both female, roughly 8 weeks old) having had a dandelion leaf as I know that's a diuretic. In between these pinkish stains I think the wee's been normal; it was blatently obvious both this morning and the previous time that the newspaper was discoloured, hence I think it's only the twice.

Can our young baby female bunnies be on heat? I have picked each one up this morning and checked their lady bits (!) but can't see any staining on their fur and their vents look okay. In fact, the one was a bit damp looking and it didn't look reddish. I'm wondering if it's hormones - human baby girls can have a "period" shortly after birth due to hormones settling (it's true - I did read this some place just before my own daughter was born).

Maybe they have a chill? They have an outdoor run and when it rained last week I left them out and they didn't shelter from it (it wasn't hard rain and it didn't wet them to their skin) but since taking advice from this forum, when it rained yesterday I put them into their hutch so they didn't get wet at all. However, when the sun's not been out it's cool - not cold (and they are wearing a fur coat) and I've been warm enough in thin, short sleeved T-shirts and cotton 3/4 trousers (and I feel the cold).

Their behaviour in themselves is fine; eating hay, grass, drinking water and eating the handful of food pellets of an evening/night. I'm just a bit concerned about this staining.

Thanks.

Rabbits dont get seasons (come into heat), they are induced ovulators.

Have they had any dark leafy veg or carrots lately, the pigments in these can cause redish urine.

Never thought of carrots! They had half of one, cut in half so a quarter each, Tuesday. Today's Thursday, so overnight Wednesday/Thursday would it still affect the wee? Thumper seemed to enjoy her quarter carrot but Coco didn't seem interested, but both quarters had gone so Thumper may have had a whole half carrot (you still with me? :lol: )

Back