• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neuter

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi all, my bun is going to be neutered on Friday, he is an outside bunny and is litter trained, is there anything I need to do after in terms what he should lay on, or do you leave everything as it is???:wave:

When Sox was nuetered I was told not to put him on hay incase it irritates the wounds, but put blankets or towels down instead :) Also, a selection of his fave foods to help him start eating after the op, and make sure the vet gives you pain meds for afterwards!! xx

Thats great, thank you. The vet did say when I booked him inabout extra pain relief so I know he will have that. I felt ok with him going in but now im actually really worrying as I dont think i've prepared enough for the after care!! I'll get some blankets then, he is litter trained, and just has lino down in his hutch, do you think I should take the litter tray out? :wave:

i've got a spare hutch outside that I can bring in with a corner litter tray so that wont be high for him to jump in and out of then, and can keep eye on him, will that be ok?

the bun isnt likely to use the litter tray for a few days as it will be uncomfortable

it may be worth getting a cat litter tray so the bun dsnt have to strain itself getting in and out

dont use sawdust if you are using it its not good for buns and it could get in the wound. Id just put hay and straw in the litter tray and use a vet bed for the rest of the hutch.

With the vet bed its basically like a dogs bed its made from material and it lasts a long time but needs washing a few times a week

i've got a spare hutch outside that I can bring in with a corner litter tray so that wont be high for him to jump in and out of then, and can keep eye on him, will that be ok?

The hutch will be fine. If he's eating and pooping well he may be ok to go back outside the following day. :)

The litter tray is good too. Alfie and Bubbles both still used the tray after their ops; as funnybunny said it's best not to use hay in the tray for the first few days to avoid scratching the wound. :)

Back