• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent - recovery from anaesthetic

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
Does anyone know anything about length of time for recovery from anaesthetic in a bunny. Can you please pm me.

I have a foster bunny that was speyed today I have no idea what anaesthetic was used. I have had lots of bunnies neutered so didn't think anything of it when they said she was still abit sleepy when I collected her.

She is still so sleepy that she can't even stand, lift her head and is wrapped in blankets to keep her warm as she was shivering when I got her back. She was done at the latest 2pm.

I just wondering if she needs the emergency vet.

I have a foster bunny that was speyed today I have no idea what anaesthetic was used. I have had lots of bunnies neutered so didn't think anything of it when they said she was still abit sleepy when I collected her.

She is still so sleepy that she can't even stand, lift her head and is wrapped in blankets to keep her warm as she was shivering when I got her back. She was done at the latest 2pm.

I just wondering if she needs the emergency vet

Yes

Meantime get her onto a heatpad of some sort and do not administer anything by mouth

Sending vibes xx

Hmm - that is a very slow recovery.

Can you get something else to keep her warm with? Most aneasthetics mean they cannot maintain body temperature and will be very very prone to hyperthermia -

Have you a snuggle safe?? Or even in an emergency (as she is really zonked) a hot water bottle (remove once she is awake enough to bite or scratch it).

Did she have metacam and fluids?? The shivering might be pain - though if she had bupronorphine as part of the drugs packge it should last till morning

The fluids help remove remnants of the anaesthetic.

Personally I would ring the emergency vet for advice at least - though if you take her there make sure she has something really warm to be next to during the drive.

my mom is on the phone to the vets as I type.

She has stopped shivering now and is on a heat padb(sorry I should have put that in my last post), she doesn't feel cold anymore but she is just so unresponsive.

I haven't/wouldn't have tried to give her anything by mouth.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for your wishes and advice last night.

The good news is Tami is still with us, they admitted her last night and scanned her to look for any internal bleeding, thankfully they couldn't find anything. She has been on a drip and heat pad all night and they have been syringe feeding her every 2 hours. She is also on extra pain relief.

They called an hour or so ago to say that although she still isn't eating or drinking by herself, she is lifting her head up and seems more interested in her surroundings. It looks like they will be keeping her in for at least the next 24hours.

Hi all,

Thanks for your wishes and advice last night.

The good news is Tami is still with us, they admitted her last night and scanned her to look for any internal bleeding, thankfully they couldn't find anything. She has been on a drip and heat pad all night and they have been syringe feeding her every 2 hours. She is also on extra pain relief.

They called an hour or so ago to say that although she still isn't eating or drinking by herself, she is lifting her head up and seems more interested in her surroundings. It looks like they will be keeping her in for at least the next 24hours.

I really hope that she pulls through.

It might be worth them running a full blood profile, I have known such poor recovery post neutering to occur in Rabbits who have renal problems.

Back