• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are spurs?

I took capri to the vets yesterday and the vet gave her a good examine and she said she has slight spurs. What does this mean? She told me to make sure she eats plenty of hay (so reduce her pellets), she eats a lot of hay anyway but ill try and get to eat even more and some green food.

bunnies teeth are constantly growing, they need to eat hay to keep them trim. Spurs are sharp points that grow on the teeth, if left untreated they grow into the bunnies tounge/cheek and can stop them eating :wave:

Bunnies teeth are naturally designed to grind across the tops of one another to wear down. If they only grind across part of the top of the tooth, then the part that isn't being grinded carries on growing, forming a small spike, or spur.

Foods like hay, grass and leafy herbs and vegetables encourage a rabbits natural side to side jaw action which helps teeth to grind down.

Pellets and a lot of commercial treats cause a rabbit to "chew" and move their jaws in a more up and down motion which doesn't grind the teeth.

Some hays - timothy in particular have an added coarseness which helps to "file/rub" the teeth down.

Spurs should be monitored (usually checked at vaccinations), as if small spikes develop, they can cause ulcers and soreness to the tongue and cheeks. This is when you hear of rabbits having to have regular dental treatment to burr/file down these spikes.

I have a "dental bun". His teeth aren't properly aligned so don't naturally wear down as they should. Some dental problems are hereditary, some are caused by trauma, some are due to the breed. Lops are prone to dental problems as they have a "squished face" and therefore the jaw doesn't always line up as it should.

Hope this helps! :wave:

Close up endoscopic view of molar spurs

rabbitmolarspurs.jpg

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.html

Ah right.

The vet only said that they are very small but just mentioned them so i could do everything i can to stop them developing into anything.

Lots and lots of hay for Capri then!!!!

Ah right.

The vet only said that they are very small but just mentioned them so i could do everything i can to stop them developing into anything.

Lots and lots of hay for Capri then!!!!

A lot of buns can have small spurs which are fine and don't amount to anything, but by knowing, you can make sure that every six months when you go for vaccinations someone is checking them for you. :D

A lot of buns can have small spurs which are fine and don't amount to anything, but by knowing, you can make sure that every six months when you go for vaccinations someone is checking them for you. :D

Yup, next time i go for her injections then i am sure they will look again.

Back