• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly is breathing really fast. U/D Back from vets

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I'm very worried about Molly. She is breathing really fast. She seems quite happy otherwise and she is eating, drinking, pooping ok. She is very relaxed and is lying completely flopped but her breathing is so fast.:cry:

I have just phoned the vets but they are full tomorrow and can't see her till Friday morning. Do you think I should ring back in the morning and demand an emergency appointment? I think I probably will.

What could be the matter? So worried about my beautiful, best girl.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I don't think that sounds anything to worry about. Peter often breathes very fast, and sometimes quite slowly. I think so long as she's eating, drinking etc I think she'll be fine. just keep an eye on her.

I've noticed this with my buns too, more so in Lewis, I think it's just the heat as he's been sittin with his frozen water bottle a lot, ice pods should be on their way! :wave:

She is a house rabbit and I don't think she is hot. It's not all the time, comes and goes. Will be ringing the vets first thing tomorrow.

She is a house rabbit and I don't think she is hot. It's not all the time, comes and goes. Will be ringing the vets first thing tomorrow.

This is the same as mine, when I mentioned it to the vet (a week so so ago), she looked at me like I was an idiot :roll: and responded with, 'Rabbits do breathe fast'. I'd rushed straight to the vets as he was shakin his head/ear, refusing fenugreek's and breathing VERY rapidly. The vet was unable to tell me if Lewis even had mites - anyway looks like it's cleared up :)

Hope your bunneh is ok! :)

Just seen this Becky and if she's back to normal then fine but if you think she's not right, then she probably isn't right and I'd call the vets and speak to him/her, even if you don't go to see them tonight. I'd want a veterinary opinion on the best course of action to be honest.

Breathing rapidly can be due to stress and stress can be due to illness so it could be anything. If she starts to breath quickly again and in particular if it's shallow, then I'd say she needs to be seen. But at the least the emergency service provided by the vet will be staffed by a vet and they can give you better guidance. Sometimes rapid breathing can be the precursor to mouth breathing which would be an absolute emergency situation. If you aren't happy with what they say then please give Gill Tose (Windlesham Village Vets) a call as she covers her own emergency out of ours service and she is fab with bunnies.

Hope she is okay.

Thank you Helen. She has really settled down now. She has been binkying round the living room and grooming Marble, all normal behaviour. I will be calling the vets as soon as they open tomorrow anyway.

Thank you Helen. She has really settled down now. She has been binkying round the living room and grooming Marble, all normal behaviour. I will be calling the vets as soon as they open tomorrow anyway.

That's good to hear.

I did wonder if maybe you'd cooked something or there was an unfamiliar smell in the lounge? That might have affected her senses and therefore her breathing?

Anyway, hope all goes well overnight and that the vets are able to put your mind at rest tomorrow.

She is breathing fast again this morning so we are off to the vets at 10.20am.

Please send her vibes that all is ok. I'm really worried. I know you shouldnt really have favourites but she is mine.

We are back from the vets.

She gave Molly a really good examination. She said she was breathing fast and her heart was beating fast but she doesnt seem to be struggling for breath and there was no evidence of a heart murmer although she did say that it was very difficult to hear heart problems in rabbits because they beat so fast normally. She also said that there was no evidence of poor oxygenation as her gums are nice and pink. She also took her temperature which was normal.

She has given me some painkillers and anti inflammatories in case she has an infection. She said if she gets worse or stops eating to go straight back. If there is no improvement in a week to go back. If we need to go back she will be having a chest xray to look for heart failure or pneumonia.:cry:

Thank you. Poor Marble was so traumatised by his 5 minute car trip that the vet thought he was the one with the problem! They are both chilling out under the dining table now.

Back