• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits hold grudges?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
Marvin bit me this morning really hard. I have a proper gash in my hand and it bled for almost half an hour. I then sort of 'tested' to see if it was me by dangling my towel just infront of him, and he lunged at it and went a bit crazy. I'm afraid that he is really angry at me for going on holiday and leaving him!

He used to be a bit like this and has always been a bit 'Jekyll and Hyde' but he had mellowed out massively in the past few months but now all that seems to have been undone.

He's been to the vets and they checked that his sight is okay so I have no idea what's wrong with him :?

The odd thing was afterwards he came into the bedroom for a fuss! Not that I was in the mood for fussing by this point :evil: :lol:

IMO they don't hold grudges as such.

They live for the here and now.:D

Perhaps some bunnies' behaviour is related to past unpleasant experiences.

But grudges.......................no.

IMO they don't hold grudges as such.

They live for the here and now.:D

Perhaps some bunnies' behaviour is related to past unpleasant experiences.

But grudges.......................no.

That's part of Marvin's mystery though, is he was handreared from birth under Starlight's watchful eye. He should be the nicest rabbit ever! :lol: Instead he's a grumpy, cheeky sod!

Hopscotch doesn't. He ignored me last night for a few hours after getting home from the vet, but was fine by bedtime!

mary just doesnt like me full stop :(

and now zoid has started running away from me...

the important thing is they are happy together at least :D

I'd say they can do, as if a bond fails due to a big fight, its sometimes possible that they'll never be able to be bonded with that bun again, because they remember what happened last time.

That's part of Marvin's mystery though, is he was handreared from birth under Starlight's watchful eye. He should be the nicest rabbit ever! :lol: Instead he's a grumpy, cheeky sod!

That's his endearing personality!!!!!!!!!!!

I have known other bunnies who are much the same. No reason for their grumpiness, they just are!!!:roll::roll:

Now, I know quite a few humans who are grumpy too!!!!!! Say no more!!!:roll:

That's his endearing personality!!!!!!!!!!!

I have known other bunnies who are much the same. No reason for their grumpiness, they just are!!!:roll::roll:

Now, I know quite a few humans who are grumpy too!!!!!! Say no more!!!:roll:

I do :love: him regardless I just wish he didn't bite so hard! It makes me think i'm doing wrong :(

Yes. Buckley holds grudges. He has a grudge against one particular vet at our vet surgery, she kept poking his bits (he actually loves the others, one of them he grooms :shock:). He also has a grudge against my best friend's boyfriend (he tried to pick him up... and didn't even give Buckley any treats in return... how very dare he). Buckley now just growls at him every time Hayley brings him round.

I'd say they can do, as if a bond fails due to a big fight, its sometimes possible that they'll never be able to be bonded with that bun again, because they remember what happened last time.

You see I'd say the opposite. I just don't agree with this theory at all and don't believe that it fits the cognitive ability of a rabbit. They do not behave in this way through forethought and do not have this type of conscious awareness. I suspect the reason the bond fails again is not that they remember the experience - more the rabbit! :wave:

Mattyp - no, I do not believe that rabbits hold grudges. Their is no reason from an evolutionary and survival point of view for them to do so, they do not have the same frontal brain processes as we do. All behaviour is driven by survival and therefore it is likely that there is something else 'in the here and now' upsetting your rabbit. :):wave:

Back