• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnancy and uterine cancer

Dollie

Warren Scout
I was having a discussion with someone who insists on breeding her rabbits (she wants to expand her group..) I adviced her not to. One of the reasons she thinks it's a good idea, is because - so she says - the risk of uterine cancer will decrease by 75% after pregnancy.

My girls are both spayed and in my opinion that is the only correct way to prevent uterine cancer, but it did make me curious.. Is it true? Is there any research that backs up her story?

Just to be certain.. (As you might know, I'm not English and I'd like to be sure I understand what it says..)

Increased incidence in older does, reaching 50-80% in some breeds for individuals over three years of age. (J34.24.w3, J213.7.w1)
In one study, uterine neoplasia was seen in does of two years and two months to seven years and six months of age, peaking at 4-5 years. (J27.64.w4)
In a study of more than 80 cases in one laboratory colony, uterine adenocarcinoma never occurred in does younger than two years; there were 20% with onset in their third year, 44% with onset in their fourth year, 15% onset in their fifth year, 9% in their sixth year and 1% in their seventh year. The average age at the time the tumour was found was 45 months. (J494.67.w1)
May reach an incidence of 60% by four years of age. (B600.14.w14)
Incidence does not appear to be affected by whether or not the doe has bred.

This means a rabbit has a 50-80% chance to get uterine c ancer and it does not matter whether she ever gave birth or not.

Thank you!

Just to be certain.. (As you might know, I'm not English and I'd like to be sure I understand what it says..)

This means a rabbit has a 50-80% chance to get uterine c ancer and it does not matter whether she ever gave birth or not.

Thank you!

Yes, that is correct

even it if was true, i cannot see any way that you can justfy breeding to prevent cancer, it would bring into the world loads more bunnies, so would your friend breed them too, and their babies... tell her this :wave:

Sorry, never saw your respond until now.

But that's the first thing I told her: There are thousands of buns waiting in rescues and although she's planning on keeping all the babybuns so they will not end up in rescues themselves, it does mean that a bunny that wasn't born yet - didn't have to be born - takes the place that could have been for a rescuebun. But she doesn't care. Apparently it's more special if they are 'her own'. I have seven animals and only three of them were young when they came to live with me, but they don't mean even a bit more to me than my other four do..

Sometimes you just can't make people understand.

Back