• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An Important Update on the 29-34

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
I have just had a very emotional phone conversation with the lady who owned these rabbits.
She is feeling awful over the state they have got in and said while she was in hospital, the week before last, she paid a pet carer to come in and that person was meant to clean them out, as the lady herself cannot lift or bend anymore...she has fallen out with the carer due to her not doing the job she was paid for
Whether we agree with her breeding and the conditions or not, this is a lady who is dying a not too comfortable, drawn out death..so we,as human beings, should send some sympathy her way.
Anyway...I told her what the vet said re Canary and she started to cry..I told her it was obvious she wasn't coping and could we take the others she wanted to keep for a bit longer....she agreed and said she had thought herself that she should give those up too due to the state she had got herself and the animals in.
I am hopefully picking up some more on Friday and the last of them next week, the timing will depend on the lady's hospital appointments.
So now it will be at least 34 rabbits...I know a number of you have been concerend with the ones she wanted to hang onto so thought I should post and let you all know...the support we have had so far has been overwhelming..thank you all xx

Oh poor lady :( Now really isn't the time to be casting judgment on her is it, she's not got long left by the sound of it and I think she knows in her heart what happened to her buns was wrong. I'm not justifying what she was responsible for, but it sounds like she was reliant on other people who let her down.

I think you are amazing for helping out like you are doing and at least the bunsters will be out of there and getting the best of everything from now on :)

Thank goodness there are rescues like Honeybunnies to take in rabbits in circumstances like this. Just think how awful it would be to become ill and have no choice but to pts all your pets.

It sounds like it's good news then that she's giving up all the rest of the buns. So now it's just where to fit them......!

Such a dreadfully sad situation :cry::cry:

Lets try and get some bunnies in forever homes so that these poor little mites can be got out sooner rather than later.

Hope our presence at the events over the summer brings new interest and helps get the name known :)

Well done again Jill. This must be quite scarring :cry: It makes me cry just reading about it so I can't imagine how you must feel x

Such a sad situation, hard not to feel compassion for the lady's predicament but such a relief that she is seeing sense and putting the others into your care. Hope you can find room for the new guys and that their condition is good xx

ETA I hope she is making a financial contibution to their care. (Not expecting you to answer that just hoping she is!)

It sounds like it's good news then that she's giving up all the rest of the buns. So now it's just where to fit them......!
Well I've already told my mother there's no chance of her having our spare room for the next 4 weeks..dining room is full of boot sale stuff..so back of our sitting room will take a couple of indoor cages:shock::D
Also two of the ones I'm taking on Friday are going to others rescues..BARC and RGPW are taking one each and also taking 3 bunnies of our usual list..so thanks to them :D

Edited to add Angie has just said Barc will take an extra..you are an angel as where to put them all is a worry..

Very sad for the lady. Glad you are getting the rest of the buns out of that situation and I'm sure it will give the lady some peace knowing they are getting the care they deserve. Well done. Also well done Angie for taking in another.

where to put them all is a worry..

Seeing as my dining room table is already occupied by the lovely Budgie:love:, I will clear out the sideboard when I get home from work, then of course there are the chest of drawers, under the stairs.....................

Joking aside I'm sure I could squeeze one more in somewhere.

Kate and Ange, once again I will say it..you are wonderful:D
but Kate..of course I can fill the hutch..but would need longer than a couple of weeks so know if this is hard for you then don't worry..you are already making a huge difference by having 4!:D xx

im glad to hear u are getting the rest of these buns from the poor lady and im sure in her way she is going to miss them terribly....

im glad to hear u are getting the rest of these buns from the poor lady and im sure in her way she is going to miss them terribly....

the phone call was so awful..she was crying so much she could hardly speak..not only is she giving up all her pets..and yes i know her care has been far from good but in her own way she still is finding it hard..but also having to come to terms with her own mortality..every call to her has involved talking if her illness and treatement...I came off the phone and broke down:cry::cry:

Its terribly sad. Has she been ill for a long time, hence why the bunnies care has gone downhill. I know you said a carer was supposed to look after them for a short time but I imagine this sort of thing doesn't happen overnight. From what you say the lady seems to genuinely care for them.

I wish I could foster for you to help, I've a spare (5ft )hutch but It's over 60 miles between us, and of course no where near to the vets you use.

Hannah :)

A very sad situation all round. One thing that's for sure is that these bunnies are in the best place for them now.

the phone call was so awful..she was crying so much she could hardly speak..not only is she giving up all her pets..and yes i know her care has been far from good but in her own way she still is finding it hard..but also having to come to terms with her own mortality..every call to her has involved talking if her illness and treatement...I came off the phone and broke down:cry::cry:

You poor thing. What a thing to have to deal with. Hugs to you :cry: x

It's such a sad situation - for the lady in question, the bunnies and you Jill for having to deal with it all:cry:

I hope the rest of the bunnies are in a better state of health than the others were:cry: I would offer to foster, but I only have a 4ft hutch and you know I can't foster................:oops: I will try to help in other ways:D

Back