• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit spay

hawkylops

Warren Scout
well pippa booked in for spay 2moro. im crappin myself really, is there anything i need to do? or be aware of? never had a bunny done before

I asked them about that on phone yesterday but will make sure. I get that, im using puppy pads and blacnkets in indoor cage for her sterilising everything and disinfecting etc, is this okay? wht are does usually like after spay(never had one done so dont know wht to expect) im terrified incase something goes wrng or if i do somethinf wrong for her

Get lots of different types of treats in to keep her eating afterwards and as you have done soft blankets for her to lie on.

You will need to keep her warm (not hard in this weather) and as chul said make sure she gets pain relief

Make sure you get pain relief to take home with you afterwards

this ^ it may cost extra but a good vet will send you home with painkillers. If they dont ask for it or the 24 hour pain killer will run out the day after and your bun will be in pain. You dont give the pain killer till the day after and you have to make sure they have eaten before you give it to them.

If you use hay, straw etc... for their bedding/floor then you need to replace that with blankets, towels etc.. something nice and soft for her to lay on. put some hay and grass in the corner for her to eat but thats about it, she will pee and poo where she sits so if shes litter trained dont worry when she does this.
you need to do this as you dont want her getting an infection from the hay and other bedding and the blanked and towels are more comfortable for the bun.

You need to ensure you have the buns favourite veggie/fruit ready as she may not want to eat but needs too and its easier to tempt her with her fave foods. You may need to wave food in her face and place it against her lip to convince her to eat

If she doesnt eat by the next morning mush up pellets in water and syringe feed it to her she will not like this but you will need to get food in her. This means she gets food and water at the same time. You can then also give her the pain killers. Then If shes not eating by the afternoon then take her back to the vet.

Dont worry shes going to be tired, sore and probably wont move around much, she will be dopey and may not move around until the evening after and some buns take 2-3 days till they are more active

if you are worried post on here and we will advise you all we can however your vet should always be your first point of call if you are worried

Thankyou so much for the info so far :) I will stock up on treats and food for her. Iv got a few blankets at home gunna buy her another couple from pound shop. X

You'll be amazed at how quickly they recover! My little Orla was trying to binky around the room after being back from the vets! Had to keep her in the dog cage to keep her calm as I was scared she would pop her stitches! :roll::lol:

You'll be amazed at how quickly they recover! My little Orla was trying to binky around the room after being back from the vets! Had to keep her in the dog cage to keep her calm as I was scared she would pop her stitches! :roll::lol:

each spay is different yuki did that but yuri who I got spayed on wednesday didnt move around properly until sat. she recovered very slowly and went through the stages of eating and drinking very slowly each bun is different

dont worry if your bun does not recover quickly but if they do thats great

Sorry to jump in on ur post,Minnie is home today and has eaten she was spayed yesterday,first thing she did was go in her litter box even thou I put hay in her run,do u think I shud take the litter tray out?

Tinkerbell is booked in for Friday so i am reading this with interest! :wave:

Sorry to jump in on ur post,Minnie is home today and has eaten she was spayed yesterday,first thing she did was go in her litter box even thou I put hay in her run,do u think I shud take the litter tray out?

what is she in? if she has to much space she could over do it and pop stitches while they are recovering they should be in a smaller space.

if you can keep checking her wound and as long as its clean I dont see the litter tray as a problem

it is best to only give them hay to eat and not let them lay on it until the stitches are a little healed but some buns as long as you keep checking the wound its ok

i wouldnt worry too much

what is she in? if she has to much space she could over do it and pop stitches while they are recovering they should be in a smaller space.

if you can keep checking her wound and as long as its clean I dont see the litter tray as a problem

it is best to only give them hay to eat and not let them lay on it until the stitches are a little healed but some buns as long as you keep checking the wound its ok

i wouldnt worry too much
Hi
She's got a dog cage with run attached,6 x 4 in total shall I close her oin the dog cage,she just laying down on the lino now,when will be ok to let her out? Xx

Hi
She's got a dog cage with run attached,6 x 4 in total shall I close her oin the dog cage,she just laying down on the lino now,when will be ok to let her out? Xx

I would say close her in dog cage for today and tomorrow then open it up with the run and just keep and eye on her to make sure she doesnt move around to to much

my vet said after a week you can worry less about them moving about and after two weeks they should be fine

Thanks for ur help,I've closed her in the cage I put a load of haaay in but nope she wants to go in her litter tray and eat there,she's eaten haay and apple and a few pellets x

So far for her I have indoor cage(fully disinfected) puppy pads, lots of blankets, new litter tray and bowl(just got them) water bottle etc, hay ball x 2. Have newspaper for her litter tray lots of different treats her fave food(excel jnr n dwarf) and lots of veggy and fruit. Is there anything else I need?

So far for her I have indoor cage(fully disinfected) puppy pads, lots of blankets, new litter tray and bowl(just got them) water bottle etc, hay ball x 2. Have newspaper for her litter tray lots of different treats her fave food(excel jnr n dwarf) and lots of veggy and fruit. Is there anything else I need?

Sorry i jumped in on ur post,hope all goes well tomorrow xx

have you got two bowls one for water one for food she may prefer to drink out of a bowl after the spay they can get a bit funny like that

the excel mentioned is the pellets I assume as you may need to mush those and force feed her

other than that I think your ready to go

keep us all informed and dont hesitate to come on here and ask for help and support

Thankyou, can do 2 bowls and yeh there pellets mushin isn't a problem at all aslong as my girl is oky. Will keep u all updated with it! Xxxx

Back