• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Baby rabbits with suspected Mucoid Entiritus

buffytariq

Young Bun
Please does anyone know what to use on baby rabbits with desceneded stomachs and who have suspected mucoid entiritis????? my whole litter is being wiped out and i am tryingto give them antibiotics or painkillers! there stomachs go descended and inflamed and they go floppy and cold and end up passing. I have no idea what has caused this they were all healthy when younger and came off there mother at 6 weeks. Thye have been running around playing and on the grass being fed on a healty diet and kept clean.

Can anyone please help! i have been left with three out of 8 and cant bare to lose anymore! :'(

Whilst searching for past threads on this, I see that you had the same problem in 2009 and I'm wondering what your Vet advised you then.

Here's a link about ME in baby rabbits

Internal Diseases of Rabbits
Mucoid Enteritis
Mucoid enteritis affects rabbits of 7-14 weeks of age. The exact cause of mucoid enteritis is unknown, but it is similar to that of weaning enteritis. Recent works suggest that a dysautonomia (abnormal functioning of the autonomic nervous system, equivalent to "grass sickness" in horses) may be responsible for this disease. It is caused by changes of cecal pH that are associated with disruption of the normal cecal flora (portion of large intestine). It is a disease of young rabbits, just beyond weaning age (7-14 weeks) which is the age when the cecal microflora are becoming established and are vulnerable. Mortality is common. In up to 60% of cases there may be an accompanying pneumonia. Death is primarily due to dehydration. In older rabbits an enteritis associated with mucus production is more likely to be part of the "enteritis complex" rather than classic "mucoid" enteritis and mortality is lower. Mucoid enteritis is rarely seen in rabbitries that feed a high fiber diet and avoid excess of grains, proteins and fats.

Clinical signs include loss of appetite, lethargy, weight loss, diarrhea, excessive thirst, possible gritting and grinding of teeth, rough coat, bloat (sloshing belly), constipation and passing of jelly-like mucoid material from the bowels. Great pain is exhibited through sitting humped up, sometimes over the water crock and grinding of teeth. Temperature is subnormal.

Treatment of Mucoid Enteritis
Treatment includes fluid replacement either by injection under skin or orally with an electrolyte solution such as Lectade. Withholding solid food for 24 hours is usually recommended, then feeding stemmy alfalfa hay or similar roughage instead of pellets. Vegetable baby food can be given by syringe or orally. Drugs such as Metoclopramide and Cisapride are sometimes given.

Prevention of Mucoid Enteritis
The provision of a high-fiber diet and a gradual introduction to the pelleted ration at weaning. A probiotic such as Avipro can be dissolved in the drinking water at this vulnerable time.

Whilst searching for past threads on this, I see that you had the same problem in 2009 and I'm wondering what your Vet advised you then.

Here's a link about ME in baby rabbits

Internal Diseases of Rabbits
Mucoid Enteritis
Mucoid enteritis affects rabbits of 7-14 weeks of age. The exact cause of mucoid enteritis is unknown, but it is similar to that of weaning enteritis. Recent works suggest that a dysautonomia (abnormal functioning of the autonomic nervous system, equivalent to "grass sickness" in horses) may be responsible for this disease. It is caused by changes of cecal pH that are associated with disruption of the normal cecal flora (portion of large intestine). It is a disease of young rabbits, just beyond weaning age (7-14 weeks) which is the age when the cecal microflora are becoming established and are vulnerable. Mortality is common. In up to 60% of cases there may be an accompanying pneumonia. Death is primarily due to dehydration. In older rabbits an enteritis associated with mucus production is more likely to be part of the "enteritis complex" rather than classic "mucoid" enteritis and mortality is lower. Mucoid enteritis is rarely seen in rabbitries that feed a high fiber diet and avoid excess of grains, proteins and fats.

Clinical signs include loss of appetite, lethargy, weight loss, diarrhea, excessive thirst, possible gritting and grinding of teeth, rough coat, bloat (sloshing belly), constipation and passing of jelly-like mucoid material from the bowels. Great pain is exhibited through sitting humped up, sometimes over the water crock and grinding of teeth. Temperature is subnormal.

Treatment of Mucoid Enteritis
Treatment includes fluid replacement either by injection under skin or orally with an electrolyte solution such as Lectade. Withholding solid food for 24 hours is usually recommended, then feeding stemmy alfalfa hay or similar roughage instead of pellets. Vegetable baby food can be given by syringe or orally. Drugs such as Metoclopramide and Cisapride are sometimes given.

Prevention of Mucoid Enteritis
The provision of a high-fiber diet and a gradual introduction to the pelleted ration at weaning. A probiotic such as Avipro can be dissolved in the drinking water at this vulnerable time.

The 'gut problems' appear to have been an issue since 2008. Hence I suspect Coccidiosis. Unless the environment is also decontaminated it'll keep occurring within the OP's stud.

Transmission
Rabbits are infected by ingesting sporulated oocysts in food that has become contaminated by faeces. (B600.10.w10, B614.10.w10)
Infected rabbits contaminate the environment with oocysts of Eimeria spp. (B609.2.w2)
Transmission is increased by poor sanitation. (B24)
The environment can become heavily contaminated in intensive conditions. (B600.10.w10)
Wild rabbits can be a potential source of infection to domestic rabbits that are allowed access to grass. Long grass that is hand picked is less likely to be contaminated with oocysts then short grass that is grazed by numerous wild rabbits. (B600.10.w10)
Note: Although rabbits are coprophagic, the soft faeces (caecotrophs) that they eat directly from the anus are not thought to contain infectious oocysts. (B614.10.w10)
Cross transmission of Eimeria amongst the Oryctolagus, Sylvilagus, and Lepus genera:
Apart from Eimeria stiedae and possibly Eimeria neoleporis, cross-transmission of Eimeria species is not thought to occur between these genera. In one study, transmission of intestinal coccidia of hares to domestic rabbits and vice versa was not possible. (B614.10.w10)

Extract taken from here

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.html

I just hope the Rabbits are receiving Veterinary Treatment.

Last edited:
Back