• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When should she eat after a spay??? UD pt 40 vet check!

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
she was spayed today, the vets said she ate a little but not much

so far at home (since 4pm) shes eaten 1 basil leaf and no hay and not drank anything :( she has weed but no poops!

how long is too long!!

Last edited:
Please dont worry to much,your bun will be very sleepy tonight and not very hungry,Im sure she will be a lot brighter in the morning once the anesthetic has worn off.None of my buns have wanted to eat after an anesthetic,they usually come home have a big drink then sleep until morning :wave::wave:

If she hasn't eaten by the morning then give the vets a ring. Took Poppy a couple of days to start eating properly even with an extra shot of metaclopramide. If worried try syringe feeding her some soaked pellets and some water, but not too much.

Please dont worry to much,your bun will be very sleepy tonight and not very hungry,Im sure she will be a lot brighter in the morning once the anesthetic has worn off.None of my buns have wanted to eat after an anesthetic,they usually come home have a big drink then sleep until morning :wave::wave:

aww thank you!! most my males ate within hours, but tilda hasn't going to offer her water in a bowl i think as don't think shes up to gettin to ger bottle!

Do you have anything you can syringe feed, any critical care or fibreplex? Even pellets dissolved and mushed up in hot water would be good.

Having said that try not to worry too much at this stage, its very normal for does not to eat the day they are spayed. My Tilly didnt eat until the following day. Mimi and Charlotte were spayed before I adopted them but I was told that both of them needed syringe feeding and didnt eat for themselves until the next day.

Id definatly syringe some water at this point as she hasnt drank. Bear in mind that she might be feeling too tired to drink. Try bringing her bottle or bowl to her mouth first. She may even sip the water straight from a syringe :wave:

aww thank you!! most my males ate within hours, but tilda hasn't going to offer her water in a bowl i think as don't think shes up to gettin to ger bottle!

Tilda has had a big operation,I would put down a bowl of water but wouldnt try and syringe anything into her tonight :wave::wave:

Do you have anything you can syringe feed, any critical care or fibreplex? Even pellets dissolved and mushed up in hot water would be good.

Having said that try not to worry too much at this stage, its very normal for does not to eat the day they are spayed. My Tilly didnt eat until the following day. Mimi and Charlotte were spayed before I adopted them but I was told that both of them needed syringe feeding and didnt eat for themselves until the next day.

Id definatly syringe some water at this point as she hasnt drank. Bear in mind that she might be feeling too tired to drink. Try bringing her bottle or bowl to her mouth first. She may even sip the water straight from a syringe :wave:

no don't half any of those things, i offerd her, her water bottle, she licked off what i dabbed on her lips but shoved it away!:roll: have put a saucer down with abit of water for her!

mush up some pellets in water and feed that to her if she hasnt eaten by morning as you cant give her painkillers if she dsnt have something in her stomach

she wont like it but if she hasnt eaten it has to be done... if you cant get hold of pellets get some vegetable based baby food to syringe feed her with. check the ingredients to make sure theres no meat though

I have been through this with yuri last week its horrible but were all here for you xxxx

mush up some pellets in water and feed that to her if she hasnt eaten by morning as you cant give her painkillers if she dsnt have something in her stomach

she wont like it but if she hasnt eaten it has to be done... if you cant get hold of pellets get some vegetable based baby food to syringe feed her with. check the ingredients to make sure theres no meat though

I have been through this with yuri last week its horrible but were all here for you xxxx

i will try the syringe pellet if she hasn't eaten by tomoz! im hoping she will perk up over night and eat something

i will try the syringe pellet if she hasn't eaten by tomoz! im hoping she will perk up over night and eat something

just leave a certain amount of food around her and she should do though yuri didnt eat on her own until the afternoon of the next day

I managed to syringe a whole small syringe into her she took it from the syringe so i didnt have to use force ! i wanted her to have mroe, but cudnt push it for tonight!

she is soo sleepy! have left alot of all types of foods out and pellets so hopefully she will have a nibble!

How is she doing today?

She's ate 4 or 5 basil leaves this morning and drank abit of water from her bottle and 1 small syringe full!

How much does she have to eat to give her, her medicine or is 4 or 5 leaves enough?

Also do I need to check the wound? She wnt reli let me near it and I dnt want to hurt her!

Did your vet give her a pain killer when she was there? If so you need to find out what time she was given it as the injection can last 24hrs so you don't want to give her anymore too soon.

I've never heard the having to have eaten thing. Bunnies in stasis (ie not eating) get given metacam. It might be a good idea to ask your vet how muh they want her to of eaten before giving it.

Did your vet give her a pain killer when she was there? If so you need to find out what time she was given it as the injection can last 24hrs so you don't want to give her anymore too soon.

I've never heard the having to have eaten thing. Bunnies in stasis (ie not eating) get given metacam. It might be a good idea to ask your vet how muh they want her to of eaten before giving it.

Says on the box 3 units with food! She's had it this morning after having some basil! She had her op in the morning so were about right! X

Says on the box 3 units with food! She's had it this morning after having some basil! She had her op in the morning so were about right! X

what pain killers have they given you? is it metacam? did it come with a syringe? 3 units? I would phone the vet as rabbits take quite a high dose of metacam after a spay

but its great thats shes eating and drinking ^_^

I think she has meloxidyl. Its the same drug but different manufacturer so the dose may be different.

I think she has meloxidyl. Its the same drug but different manufacturer so the dose may be different.

just found that out in her other thread lol

I had to give yuki and yuri 10kg dose of metacam after their spays is 3 units a bit low? or is it the same amount

I've no idea.

Are your buns about 2kg then?

I just give what the vet tells me to. Bluebell was on 7.5kg dose of dog metacam but now he's on 1ml cat metacam so its hard to work out what the actual dosage is. I think the vet said bunnies have 5 x the dog one which makes the 7.5kg right as he's 1.5kg but who knows about the cat one. I assume all the others are different again.

Last edited:
I've no idea.

Are your buns about 2kg then?

I dont know their weights >_<

but yuki is a very small and light bunny and when she hurt her back a while back a year ago she was given 9-1okg then too and this was a different vets so I am not worried about the doses

Back