• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How is it...

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
that most of us on here do everything 'right' by our bunnies, and people who do everything 'wrong' by their bunnies never have any problems?

Like my friend, 2 uneutered males in a 4ft hutch, different ages, and not bonded, the new boy just put in the hutch, and they have been best friends with no fights for over 2 years. Yet my neutered boy and spayed females just won't get on so far :roll:

And for example people on here who have the best of the best food and hay for their buns, and still they end up in stasis etc, when buns who never get hay all their life never have problems?

Also, buns who spend their entire life in a 3ft hutch alone, yet some of us on here spend hundreds and hundreds on accomodation, only to have their bun die young.

It's just not fair. :roll: No real point to this, just mulling over life ATM.

I think this too :( I know people who feed their buns very bad diets yet they never get stasis or anything like that or they don't have them vaccinated and they never get diseases, so they think it's fine to leave them unvaccinated just because they personally have had no problems. :(

I've felt this too. Having lost two buns this year :( when we did everything we possibly could.... diet, exercise, accomodation, cleaning, visits to vets any medication and nursing required plus lots of love and attention... yet I know of bunnies that get very little of the above and they're still going strong.

Does feel unfair :(

used to feel like this when pearl was dying and alvin was in constant stasis, now i tell myself fate has played a huge part and my defective bunnies came to me for a reason :love:

I think ignorance is bliss to some people. I don't mean it is their fault, just that they haven't learned yet. People could tell you that their bunny died of old age without ever going to the vets, but in reality they may just have never known that it's teeth were overgrown and that thin body was not because it was old... I doubt most of us knew how common teeth issues, for example, could be until we found the deep end of the pool.
I'd take my now over panic at every sneeze or cough my pets do over blissful ignorance anyday.

I've been thinking this myself recently.

However, the buns I have had most problems with are those who have been rescued from bad circumstances eg. known neglect, bad diet, bad housing etc. and we are just dealing with the consequences:(.

At least they have had/have a good life now:D.

I think ignorance is bliss to some people. I don't mean it is their fault, just that they haven't learned yet. People could tell you that their bunny died of old age without ever going to the vets, but in reality they may just have never known that it's teeth were overgrown and that thin body was not because it was old... I doubt most of us knew how common teeth issues, for example, could be until we found the deep end of the pool.
I'd take my now over panic at every sneeze or cough my pets do over blissful ignorance anyday.

Very good point.

I think sometimes that by doing all the 'right' stuff you take away part of their immune system....maybe???

I've had bunnies for years and if they had tooth problems I've taken them to the vets, same for sneezing etc

But

I've never [in 28 years] had a bunny vaccinated, or a female spayed, always fed a muesli mix, and let them eat garden plants
I've never lost a bunny at a young age either [7 was the youngest]

This year however I switched to a good pellet only food [no muesli]
within a month of doing so Maud developed an abscess and lost a lot of weight, Malc started sneezing - they both went to the vets :wave:
I'm convinced its to do with 'changes'
All four of my bunnies had better looking fur on museli and 'seemed' fitter - I'm considering changing back.
Oh, and two of them eat very little hay [the other two eat tons!]
90% of my bunnies have been rescued 'ordinary' buns, 10% pet shop.

Maybe its nothing at all to do with this - maybe its just 'luck'??

Back