• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does size matter?

steveg

Warren Scout
Well, now I've got your attention, just want to run a few dimensions past you!

Just erected (!) my new 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 hutch. External dimensions are indeed just that.

Internal sizes are a) main area 3'7" x 2'4" - not as wide as my existing 4' hutch lower run
b) bedroom 2'2" x 2'4" - too big? Perhaps but bedroom divider has to screw to joins in hutch, so no choice really.

My point is, here is a hutch bigger than 6x2x2 yet within the main area, there's no way Peter could take three hops, and he's only 14 weeks old. He can't hop along the full length due to the lower height of the divider.

How big do you have to go to allow your bun to have enough space in a hutch?

Last edited:
You could take the divider out. If you did this you'd have to have night shutters for the hutch at night. This is a piece of wood....with a (reasonably sized) hole for air circulation cut in it. Then you can attach it at night to the wire part and take it off in the day. :wave:

I took the dividers out of my hutches and got my mum to make wooden box bedrooms instead, which they can jump on top of, are a better size for keeping warm in, and free up more floor space :)

Just a thought here....is this hutch your second or third? Do you still have them all? Why not join them all together using either the runaround tubes or tubes such as these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item19c6b24f75

You could even join them all up to the run which will give Peter a lot of space and a really interesting series of hideouts:wave:

Here's some photos of the sort of thing I mean:D

http://www.runaround.co.uk/yourrunaround.html

I used a shed for Poppy in the end as no matter what I looked at it didnt feel big enough for her. This idea was my other option and I was going to do it. Hope it helps:D

I would move the divider along to reduce the bed. It will make it more snug and give more living space. I would say 18" would be wide enough if it's 24" deep.

Thanks folks, some good ideas.

Tamsin, I would like to move it along but it screws into the frame which adjoins the bedroom door. If I move it past the door there's nowhere to attach it to.

A sleeping box is a good idea but a bit of hassle to clean, or is it?

Helen, It's out third hutch :oops: but two were free, and the double decker only cost £30, so we've spent very little up till now. I'll look into the runaround system, as we still have them all. :wave:

Thanks folks, some good ideas.

Tamsin, I would like to move it along but it screws into the frame which adjoins the bedroom door. If I move it past the door there's nowhere to attach it to.

A sleeping box is a good idea but a bit of hassle to clean, or is it?

Helen, It's out third hutch :oops: but two were free, and the double decker only cost £30, so we've spent very little up till now. I'll look into the runaround system, as we still have them all. :wave:

It's easier than a built in bedroom - I just take the whole box out to clean it, fill it up with hay again, and pop it back in :)

well, certainly sounds easy. Does it just stand free in the corner? Any idea of it's dimensions?

Can you fix it top n bottom rather than front n back. It's hard to suggest without seeing the design though :)

Here's one of them - it leaves room up the side, too, which Dan & Clo like to snuggle in, with a pile of hay.

Bunnies1stApril2011003.jpg

BunniesandebayMarch2011012.jpg

And it's so much fun to squeeze on top :lol:

BunniesandebayMarch2011014.jpg

Dan & Clo have one upstairs and one downstairs, Lady Jane has one downstairs, and Butters has one upstairs.

Thanks for that. I get the idea. I think that might be the best idea and free up more space for him to hop about in :D:wave:

Back