• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's haunting me :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I just can't get this out of my head :cry: some of you may know that I've started volunteering at weekends at my local animal sanctuary. On my first day I commented to Peter (who's in charge of the rabbits) that one of them was too big for the cage it was in. They are in stainless steel hutches on top of one another. The rabbit, called Poppy, couldn't even do 2 hops in this hutch :( she looked very fed up. :( on the sign with her name on it said 'I nip'. I said that's not surprising because she's got no room to move in there. Peter said well it just depends what space we have available when they come in. In the same hut there are 4 runs about 6x3, 2 of which each had a few guinea pigs in. I said the guinea pigs should go in the hutch and Poppy in the run. Nothing was done :(
On my next visit I couldn't see Poppy anywhere and Peter was off that day, so I asked the lad covering for him if she'd been rehomed. He didn't know, but said he'd heard that one rabbit had died, in horrible circumstances :( what had happened was, Poppy had pushed up the roof of her hutch (which was also the floor of the hutch above) and got her head stuck :cry: :cry: I couldn't believe that something like that could happen in a place where animals go to be safe and looked after :cry: and if they'd listened to me it wouldn't have happened :cry:
I just can't stop thinking about it. Something needs to be done to stop it happening again. I intend to complain to the management but I dont want them to stop me volunteering, and I don't want everyone to turn against me :(
What I really want is to quit my job and go and look after their bunnies full time. Currently Peter is head of the farm section, which includes sheep, goats, pigs, cows, guinea pigs, rabbits, degus and ferrets. I think they should have a separate section for the small animals which I could be head of (heads of sections get paid). I just need to help those bunnies!!!! :(

Is this "sanctuary" really appropriate??

Check it out, it's on the Internet, [admin edit - name removed]. They do home checks etc before rehoming, and most areas seem great. It's just the rabbit section that I feel needs someone who cares. :( I know I could make a world of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do home checks etc before rehoming, and most areas seem great. It's just the rabbit section that I feel needs someone who cares. :( I know I could make a world of difference.

Youll probably need a Diploma in animal management.:roll:

Thats aweful!:shock::(

Is there funding to enable them to have a separate section for small animals?

You would be able to make such a difference Im sure....:);)

I'd think that if you have been volunteering...you would be considered for any type of positions that came up....is there different levels of volunteering that people do?
If there is a higher level of "management" or head of sections that also has volunteers...then perhaps try that.

If they would be prepared to have a section of small animals....you could always shadow a current head of section to show your comittment & knowledge to prove you are capable.

I would also presume they need to meet certain criteria of how they keep their animals....you dont need to let them know if they get checked by rspca....not sure how that works...but there must be standards to meet.

Also....what is your relationship with Peter like? Would he feel that his job was "threatened" if another section was opened up that was currently under him?

Id def. try to see what path Peter & other heads of sections took to enable them to be in their jobs.
What experience etc etc...;)

If you want to work with an organisation to improve things, or become an employee, it's generally not a good idea to name & shame on the internet!

Try planning some practical things to improve things such as raising money for new accommodation. You'll need to show that you are capable if you want to get a job.

It's also possible there isn't the funds for another employee. Separating the sections means they need to pay twice as many wages and that takes money away from other sanctuary work.

I wish I hadn't seen this I live minutes away from[admin edit - name removed] and my house mate adopted a cat from there last year but I have never been up. I hav to say the house check took about 1 minute the person didn't even come in the house!

ripminnie if you would like me to call up at the weekend and mention to someone that the rabbits cages are too small etc i don't mind and it would be easier for me doing it than you as I have nothing to lose and if more people start saying something then maybe they will do something about it.

Thanks for your reply :)
Yes there are different levels, there are volunteers, then there are regular paid staff on minimum wage, then there are heads of sections who are on more money. I currently work (in my regular job) with a lady who used to be on the committee of trustees, and she tells me they are not short of money - all donations are very well invested so they make more money that way.
I have actually only been 3 times so far, so am aware I need to be there a fair bit longer before I get on my soap box!
But I have been thinking of ways to raise money for better housing for a while (see previous threads!) and have some good ideas now. It's just a case of getting the committee to see that change is a good thing - they're very set in their ways apparently :(

Thats aweful!:shock::(

Is there funding to enable them to have a separate section for small animals?

You would be able to make such a difference Im sure....:);)

I'd think that if you have been volunteering...you would be considered for any type of positions that came up....is there different levels of volunteering that people do?
If there is a higher level of "management" or head of sections that also has volunteers...then perhaps try that.

If they would be prepared to have a section of small animals....you could always shadow a current head of section to show your comittment & knowledge to prove you are capable.

I would also presume they need to meet certain criteria of how they keep their animals....you dont need to let them know if they get checked by rspca....not sure how that works...but there must be standards to meet.

Also....what is your relationship with Peter like? Would he feel that his job was "threatened" if another section was opened up that was currently under him?

Id def. try to see what path Peter & other heads of sections took to enable them to be in their jobs.
What experience etc etc...;)

Hi Tamsin, thanks for replying :)
Yes I see your point! :oops:
But I only named it as Yvette was questioning whether it was dodgy, and I thought if people saw the website they would see it is a genuine rescue...
I'm not really shaming it as I think it's great apart from the bunny section!
See my above post re fundraising, I asked on here a while ago for ideas for this very cause... It's been on my mind for ages :(
I just have so many ideas of what I could do with the place, I just need the chance! :?

If you want to work with an organisation to improve things, or become an employee, it's generally not a good idea to name & shame on the internet!

Try planning some practical things to improve things such as raising money for new accommodation. You'll need to show that you are capable if you want to get a job.

It's also possible there isn't the funds for another employee. Separating the sections means they need to pay twice as many wages and that takes money away from other sanctuary work.

Hiya :wave: thanks for your reply :)
They are actually having an open day on Sunday, 12-4, so if you are free you could pop up and have a look! :D
The cages aren't terrible, its just that Poppy was a very big bunny and there were other places she couldn't been put with lots more space :( there are a few outside runs now that the buns take turns to go out in, but these weren't finished when Poppy was stuck in her cage :( and I think nobody liked her because she bit people :(
But I'll probably be there, it'd be nice to meet you :wave:
I'm Jo by the way :)

I wish I hadn't seen this I live minutes away from[admin edit - name removed] and my house mate adopted a cat from there last year but I have never been up. I hav to say the house check took about 1 minute the person didn't even come in the house!

ripminnie if you would like me to call up at the weekend and mention to someone that the rabbits cages are too small etc i don't mind and it would be easier for me doing it than you as I have nothing to lose and if more people start saying something then maybe they will do something about it.

Back