• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kits needing help in the nest

Mileycyrus

New Kit
Hi All
My mini Lop doe gave birth to 5 normal sized kits about 7 days ago. 1 died about 2 days ago. I noticed from about day 2 that two kits were thriving and three didn't seem to be getting their fair share of milk. I have tried assisting the doe feed the underweight ones on their own that I suspect are being bulldozed by the two big ones, who are hogging all the milk.

I was wondering if it would be safe to remove the two healthy kits from the nest for one night (keep in a warm place inside) so that the two underweight ones get a good feed? I'm not sure if this is a safe practice and I certainly don't want to risk the health of the kits that are thriving but they are almost double the size of the other two. I just want them all to have a great chance. Am I just fighting a losing battle against nature??

Last edited:
Don't remove them for a night because you don't want them to miss out.

How have you been trying to give them additional feeds so far?

I would see if you could hold mum and have someone else hold the babies to mum's nipples. you need to ensure you and the person holding the baby smell of mum and nothing else.

You can also try standing mum over the nest with the stronger babies out.

It may well be that you can't help these kits survive.

You didn't answer the questions asked to you in the other thread on this topic. the main one being, are you free feeding her pellets?

Hi Sky

I'm giving her double the amount of pellets and heaps of carrots, celery, grass and swede with small amounts of fruit. Pellets are still left over when I feed her the next day so I take it she is having enough. I also have heaps of meadow hay in with her and give her a small handful of lucerne hay ( probably Spelt that wrong).

I have been allowing the two little ones to feed for about 20 minutes while my doe is in my arms on her back. She is a very good mum I think?

I thought that the two tubby ones could skip a feed and be ok but if I'd be risking their health I won't do it.

Back