• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue question...

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
Would you rehome a spayed girl to be bonded with an un-neutered male (presuming everything else is 100% within your requirements)? Would it be a straight yes/no, or would it depend on why the male hasn't been neutered?

Would you rehome a spayed girl to be bonded with an un-neutered male (presuming everything else is 100% within your requirements)? Would it be a straight yes/no, or would it depend on why the male hasn't been neutered?

I haven't done so as I am sure the buck would pester the doe too much. I would always be interested in why the buck is not neutered though.

I have taken in a pair or two when the doe was neutered instead of the buck, in each case it was a situation of mistaken identity by the vet. The poor does were urine stained and quite bedraggled from the bucks attentions.

its recomended not to as a male still has hormones as he isnt nueterd and just humps and pesters a female till she attacks him :(

It would be a straight no from me.

Too many risks involved with unneutered rabbits in a bond - fine if you are the owner already and are prepared to take that risk, but not one I can have on my conscience.

There are obviously medical reasons why a rabbit may not be neutered and then there could be a bit of leeway I suppose.

As an advocate of neutering for all rabbits, I would be a hypocryte for rehoming if the owners rabbit wasn't snipped.

Too many risks involved with unneutered rabbits in a bond - fine if you are the owner already and are prepared to take that risk, but not one I can have on my conscience.

There are obviously medical reasons why a rabbit may not be neutered and then there could be a bit of leeway I suppose.

As an advocate of neutering for all rabbits, I would be a hypocryte for rehoming if the owners rabbit wasn't snipped.

this ^^ although i dont own a rescue - i have a very hormonal unneutered buck who honks at the sniff of another rabbit and it wouldnt be fair on the doe.

what if the rabbit couldn't be neutered for health reasons? :wave:

it would probably make bonding harder i guess? :?

This^

We would only consider it if we had evidence from the vet that there was a medical reason not to neuter.

BUT, the likelihood of it working and going ahead and being fair on both of them would be slim.

what if the rabbit couldn't be neutered for health reasons? :wave:

it would probably make bonding harder i guess? :?

Personally if the owners rabbit couldn't be neutered then I would prefer not to bond one of our rescue bunnies up. Some rescues would so I'd leave them to rehome to the new owner.

I would just not want to take the risk of injury further down the road. This doesn't mean that the unneutered bunny couldn't have a friend as there are places that the owner could source a rabbit, but my priority always has to be the rabbits in MY care and so it's all about what's best for them.:D

Back