• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass and Rabbits

gemma123

New Kit
New rabbit owner .. I got a new rabbit yesterday 8weeks old, Mr T has been in the run on the lawn most of the day and been eating grass. I've been researching today and found out that this isn't safe. Please help!! Not sure what to do now or if its a old wife's tale etc. :?

Hi and welcome :wave:

I've always let mine straight onto grass from 8 weeks old. Didn't realise it was a problem!

Too much fresh grass, or a lot of grass if they aren't used to it can upset bunny tums.

keep an eye on your bunny - if he looks uncomfortable, stops eating etc then you will need to see a vet.

Some buns are fine with strong digestive systems, other have delicate tummies.

Hope your bunny is ok :)

Alfie went out on the grass at 8 weeks too.

It can give them a bit of an upset tummy if they're given too much grass too quickly, which is probably what you're referring to Gemma? I would keep him off the grass for a day or two and just give him hay, as you may well find his poops are a bit runny if he's overdone the grass.

Once it's settled down, you can start by giving him a little time on the grass and then gradually build up. :)

Back