• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny has a head tilt

lunarmoon92

Young Bun
Hi

It looks like my bunny had a stroke about a week ago. The vet has given him some steriod shots and put him on Pancur for 28 days. On Friday we noticed that he had a head tilt and the Vet gave him another shot and some antibiotics.

He wasn't too good at the weeked but he looks much improved today. He's moving about and jumping over things but he's not eating very much. He's started to take some small bits of treat off of us but we are having to syringe feed him critical care, which he is not really enjoying.

I just want to know if there is anything else I should be doing, and is there any other medication that I should be asking my vet for? I've read that Metacam might be appropriate?

Hi :wave:
How has a stroke been diagnosed?? I only ask because head tilt in a bun is usually down to an ear infection, or in some cases EC. My bun Mimi had a very severe head tilt and lost her balance completely last year. The first symptoms were her eyes darting from side to side, and slight loss of balance. A few days later her head tilted and she lost her balance completely. Does this sound similar to your bun??

And yes, whatever the cause of the tilt, Metacam is very important :wave:

Last Tuesday night Buttons was very unbalanced and all of his reflexes were very slow. My emergecy vet was wonderful and she did say it could have either been a stroke or EC, but they have checked his ears and there is no ear infection.

Does EC often come on very sudden? I just assumed that there would be more symptons to EC and Buttons had none. We went to work in the morning and he was fine then we noticed that eveing that he was just falling over to the left and had lost all his balance.

Right I will ask for some metacam tonight.

Thank you

Ask your vet to check his ears again. When I first took Mimi to the vets, they couldnt find any sign of infection so didnt treat her for it. It was only a few days later when she worsened and I took her back that they found infection in her ear. In some cases the infection may be soo deep inside the ear canal that it is not visible. Personally I think that treating with a strong antibiotic (not Baytril as its not strong enough) is very important in this case. Treating for EC is also worth doing, so have a chat with your vet about that aswell.

Is your vet rabbit savvy by the way? Some arent unfortunately and its very important to have a good rabbit vet when you have a head tilt bun :(

:wave:

Yeah my Vet is very good with bunnies. I'll ask them to check for an ear infection again.

We have started Pancur for the EC, we're about 7 days in to a 28 day course.

Thank you so much

Yeah my Vet is very good with bunnies. I'll ask them to check for an ear infection again.

We have started Pancur for the EC, we're about 7 days in to a 28 day course.

Thank you so much

Youre welcome, and please let me know if I can help in any other way.

They can quite offen get worse before they get better but dont lose hope. Mimi was completely incapacitated for 5 whole weeks and I had to nurse her constantly, but she made a fukll recovery :D:D:D

Just wanted to say the Buttons has made a remarkable recovery.

He seems like a whole new bunny, his head tilt is barely noticable, he's moving about wonderfully and his appetite is improving!

We're going back to the vets on Thursday for another check up and fingers crossed we'll be back to routine check ups only!

The vet gave us an oral gut stimulant and metacam last wekk. Butts should finish those in the morning and then we're gonna see how he goes.

Thank you for your help, it was really wonderful.

Lauren and Buttons

Back