• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UD: Emily has had MAJOR surgery U/D: Emily is coming home today!!!

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Hello.

When I put Emily, my 6 month old French Lop to bed last night she was fine. She ate all of her tea and had been pooping. When my husband woke up to feed her at 6am she did not want any food and just lay on the spot or hunched in a ball.

I syringe fed her and gave her some Fibreplex before I left her.

I rang the vets and made the earliest possible appointment - 1pm. This gave me time to go into school and get cover for my class too. My sister checked on Emily when I popped to work.

When I got home she still wasn't interested in food or water and just lay down. We took her to the vets and she had a full check-over.

The vet said it could either be an infection in her uterus or a mass of poop.

The vet said she would need to stay and the even better rabbit vet would look at her. He said she would need an ultrasound and I agreed to let her have any other treatment needed.

We left her at about 2pm and the clock is ticking very slowly while we wait.

My poor, poor baby girl.

Get Well Soon Emily.

Anybody had experience of similar problems?

Thanks

Tanya

Last edited:
Awww poor little thing! Sorry I can't help as haven't experienced this with my two but I send lots of get well vibes and hope she makes a speedy recovery! Lots of hugs xxx

I couldn't wait any longer, so got my husband to ring the vet.

Emily has a huge calcium build up in her bladder - it's like sludge. She has been put on a drip to make her wee and to try and wash the calcium out. If she doesn't improve within 24 hours they will have to operate - but are hoping the drip will work.

The vet said that having food like kale could cause this - but it is not something she has very often (about twice a month). As she is so small I only give her a small amount too.

Emily has to stay in the vets tonight and I have to ring in the morning then they will ring me at lunch time.

Any idea what other foods are high in calcium?

Thanks

Tanya

*hugs* well wishes to your bun

I doubt its the kale if you only give small amounts it could be anything so dont beat yourself up about it its not your fault and you have been doing the best for your bun

Just a little update...

We went to see Emily earlier and she looked so poorly - a drip in her ear, a buster collar around her neck and her tummy was all sahved from the ultrasound. :(

She had a temperature this morning but that has gone down. She is managing to wee (probably due to the amount of water she is having through a drip) and do some poops. She isn't eating much by herself but is on medication to stimulate her guts, as well as painkiller and antibiotics.

Please pray for my baby girl.

Loads of vibes for your little one :( I hope she starts to recover soon. At least she is in the best place and they are treating her.

Thank you. I feel so sick with worry.

I rang the vets just now to check on her again. She still isn't really eating but they have syringe fed her some food.

She has done a couple of poops and a wee too.

The fluids were leaking from the catheter in her one ear so they have put it in her other ear now.

I am really missing my baby girl. She is our little house rabbit and would usually be hopping around the house right now. She loves trying to get to my laptop cable!

Get Well Soon my baby girl. xxx

:( poor girlie..i hope she starts improving soon.

brassicas are very high in calcium..its how i think our bridge bun woozle started his bladder sludge..thats what the vet said...and i was feeding him...broccoli....cauliflower.....curly kale.....carrot greens......spring greens...cabbage...more than he should have had and more often too but i didnt actually know too much back then.....

vibes for emily xx

Hello.

We have been to see Emily again tonight. We spent 40 minutes with her and she managed to eat a couple of cucumber sticks, a few nibbles from the cucumber and celery, 3 SS pellets and a few strands of hay!

She had another ultrasound this morning and the vet said her bladder has imroved slightly.

We are still waiting for the results of her wee sample - that should be back by tomorrow, then we can find out if she is on the right antibiotics.

I have just rang the vets to check on Emily.

She had chewed through her drip again so needed a new line.

She has also been eating cucumber and celery. She seems to be ok, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will get better - enough for me to take her home. We miss her so much. :(

Today has been awful. The vet decided that Emily's bladder was not improving so they would need to catherterise her. They did and it didn't work. As a result of this they decided to surgically remove the 'sludge' from her bladder.

Unfortunately when they opened her up she had a massive lump that had atatched itself to her bladder, intestines and other things (can't remember what vet said). They removed the lump but the op lasted about 3 hours. They said they have thoroughlly washed her out too. :(

She is now in recovery but we need her to get over anaesthetic, then make sure her bowel and bladder and still working due to this invasive surgery.

Please pray for my baby girl.

Oh Heavens!!!
Lots of prayers and thoughts her way.Shes been to hell and back.
Keep the updates coming.

Thank you for the kind wishes.

I am hoping the vet will ring soon to let me know how she is. I really want to go and see her - and I really hope she makes a full recovery.

Back