• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frustration - help

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Think Biscuit is frustrated. Perhaps its because Ginger's not well, i just dont know.

He's digging in the litter trays severely again, meaning the house is getting a coating of megazorb :roll:

He's digging in the floors, corners, throwing things around and generally getting into mischief.

He seems to REALLY be craving my (but not my OH's?) attention in the last couple of weeks and i can guarantee if i sit/lay on the floor he'll come running over and want to play, and groom me.

They both have loads of space (dog crate + half of living room + stairs + hallway + half of my office) and toys (Biscuit doesn't really like toys) and tunnels and cardboard boxes to chew/dig/jump on/throw around and nice noms (Ginger's craving fibre so Biscuits loving the extra brambles/hawthorn he's getting).

Is there anything else you think i could provide him with to stimulate him and make him happier?

RU, looking for some wisdom, please!

Thanks

Any chance his teeth are causing him problems? If not spurs, then roots?

I guess its a possibility.

He's off for his VHD tonight (lapinject) so will discuss with the vet - i hadn't even thought about them again, so thank you for bringing that up and reminding me :)

If he was clean and calm after his dental, until now, then it might be worth looking into. Wish gets a lot of pain with her roots, but shows minimal spur issues until much later on (like weeks later), which is what made me wonder.

Is it about 6 weeks since his dental?

Provided his choppers are in good nick I would think it's a buddy he's craving!!!! As you say, Ginger is under the weather, probably smells a bit funny to Biscuit and hence despite all the fabulous occupations you provide for them both what Biscuit is really responding to is you!!!!
Good luck at the vet xx

If he was clean and calm after his dental, until now, then it might be worth looking into. Wish gets a lot of pain with her roots, but shows minimal spur issues until much later on (like weeks later), which is what made me wonder.

Is it about 6 weeks since his dental?

He had been yes, what with Ginger i hadn't even contemplated it.

I will call the vet and ask if i can give him some metacam to see if it helps, as it did pre-dental. It was 4 weeks yesterday (3rd June he had it).

Please tell me he's not going to be another dental bun :shock::(

He had been yes, what with Ginger i hadn't even contemplated it.

I will call the vet and ask if i can give him some metacam to see if it helps, as it did pre-dental. It was 4 weeks yesterday (3rd June he had it).

Please tell me he's not going to be another dental bun :shock::(

*squish*

Hopefully he won't be. We manage Wish's with pain relief for the most part, so maybe that might be what is needed for Biccy if that is what is causing his problem. I really hop he isn't going to need a dental though.

Although, the other reason I can think of for this behaviour is no better either.

*squish*

Hopefully he won't be. We manage Wish's with pain relief for the most part, so maybe that might be what is needed for Biccy if that is what is causing his problem. I really hop he isn't going to need a dental though.

Although, the other reason I can think of for this behaviour is no better either.

Just left a message with the vet - see if the metacam will help.

:/ go on...

Provided his choppers are in good nick I would think it's a buddy he's craving!!!! As you say, Ginger is under the weather, probably smells a bit funny to Biscuit and hence despite all the fabulous occupations you provide for them both what Biscuit is really responding to is you!!!!
Good luck at the vet xx

It's related to this.

Depending how Ginger is doing, can you tally his behaviour with her lows?

We often see a stark change of behaviour in rabbits if they know their friend is sick, possibly dying.

It's related to this.

Depending how Ginger is doing, can you tally his behaviour with her lows?

We often see a stark change of behaviour in rabbits if they know their friend is sick, possibly dying.

Ginger's having a relatively good yesterday and today, albeit very very quiet. SHe's just craving fibre, but is barely drinking in all honesty. She does hop around occasionally, but spends most of her time just quietly sat/laying down. She's back on the zithromax now, so i don't expect her to brighten up for at least a week, as last time, if anything it made her worse for the first week, dysbiosis/random urination/very sleepy and lathargic/unresponsive at times but she seemed to come through all that on around day 8 or 9, but then we stopped it and she got very ill again :roll: :(

I would probably say, if anything he's always mischievous if she's feeling down/quiet - i always put it down to boredom, eg, him not having anyone to play with?

He's not been this close to me since before Ginger came here. He never craves my attention anymore, until now.

Maybe he knows something i don't.

I really wish he could speak. I need to know whats going on.

I'm glad she is doing ok :)

Hopefully he is just bored and therefore entertaining himself.

Good luck tonight though. I also think you're right to look at administering Metacam, if I suspected it was pain related, this is what I would be doing too.

Thanks.

I've been quietly pondering how much longer i think she will be with us, but all the time she has a good day occasionally, its good.

Biscuit's just had 0.6ml of 1.5ml/mg dog metacam, same as what Ginger is having twice a day.

This bottle isn't going to last long :roll:

When my elderly boy was poorly his wifie became far more independent and at times boisterous. When he was actually dying (one afternoon when she thought he was dying,as did I but then the bloat cleared and then the afternoon he did just slip away) she lay beside him quietly I think to comfort him. So I would agree that a boisterous bun looking for alternative companionship may correlate to a sick bonded partner but (especially in a close bond) I do think when push comes to shuv they comfort one another.
Well that's my experience!!!!
Your poor bunnies and especially in this heat!!!!

I'm no expert, but to me it sounds like yeah his teeth might be troubling him... But I think he just misses someone to run around with:)

Do you think Biccy might want to go and play outside?

I know George and Gemma seem fed-up sometimes and putting them outside for a play really helps. They actually have less space in their run outside than they do indoors but it's a different environment and they love digging and nomming the fresh grass. It seems to perk them up:)

Not much help but both my groups are going through a phase of this at the moment and they dont normally do it but the past week I have had to re do their shed everyday and am going through loads of newspaper. they have gone through phases before and stopped again

How did it go at the vets?

I really dont like this vet!

"He's fine, theres nothing wrong with him, try not to worry about it - theres not really anything we can do anyway" :roll:

He's had his VHD jab (lapinject), he had a teeth check but obviously just a conscious one and couldnt see anything. I asked about having him xrayed and they are going to keep him on metacam for a few days and see how he gets on and if its all okay while on it, we'll get him booked in.

They are however training a new rabbit vet, she has a want to learn about rabbits and has been on several courses and conferences about meds etc apparently, so hopefully i'll get a new bunny savvy vet soon.

He's not done any digging yet today, but he's having a snooze right now, it normally starts about 10-11am, so we'll see i guess..

Ginger was also weighed, at 1.4Kg, so she's put on a little weight again, just a case of building it back up again me thinks. Thanks for asking :love:

I think the smart thing to do is what you're doing, exactly. No point putting him through a GA unless this clearly makes a difference. I'm sorry you don't like your vet though. It's very difficult when you need a good vet and you don't have one you can trust. It makes life a lot more stressful.

Lets hope you have a peaceful time today.

If this always happens at he same time, each day, and it's not dental related, could you try and rearrange their routine in some way?

I wonder if its the weather upseting them. My lot have all been proper destructive the last few days and they are normally so tidy.

Back