• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you quarantine?

Do you quarantine?

• Yes- always

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Yes- sometimes, if I think it's appropriate (please elaborate)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I have done in the past

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • What's quarantining?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Take two, I guess. :lol:

Do you quarantine any new arrivals (for this purpose rabbits) into your home?

What measures do you take to keep any current bunnies safe when a new bunny enters the house?

If you quarantine, how long do you quarantine for?

Poll to follow (if I manage to get it right this time :lol:)

Always. For at least two weeks new buns are kept in a completely seperate area and I always wash thoroughly inbetween handling, where poss I try to make sure the newbie is attended to last. I also give them 28 days of panacur before bonding them.

I will do in the future, but i didnt on the one occasion i've had a 'new' bun in the house. So i went for 'other'.

I dont think we did years and years ago. Well, not proper quarantine. For instance, if we got a new bird we didn't allow contact but we didn't have them in different areas of the house.

In the last 6 or so years we definitely have. Strict quarantine for at least 4-8 weeks for every new pet.

i voted no, the fact that Alvin has always gone to the rescue first to meet a healthy bunny leaves me with no need to quarantine :D

I quarantine if I am unsure of where they have come from. If they have come from the local RSPCA and I am confident they are healthy and well (such as if I have known them for a long time at the Centre), then I am not as strict. They go through a strict and careful isolation based quarantine there themselves.

I tend to do them last, hand gels, hand washing, vet quality disinfectant, using an area away from all the other rabbits and no risk of cross contaminations. If I have to administer meds, and therefore hold them, then I use full on plastic wear which I dispose of straight after.

Mum always said to me 'be aware of invisibles' and it makes me think of that chicken advert from a few years ago about how the chicken touches this, and then when you touch that place the germs get moved to X and how it spreads about, so I'm very careful.

I wait for 4 weeks symptom/problem free when I quarantine, so that can be along time, depending on how the rabbits are when they arrived. Think Autumn had 8-10 weeks quarantine when he came.

i voted no, the fact that Alvin has always gone to the rescue first to meet a healthy bunny leaves me with no need to quarantine :D

Obviously you trust the rescue that he goes to (and came from?). What was it that made you trust them? Like their quarantining procedures? The person who runs the rescue? Seeing it (the rescue/situation) with your own eyes, etc?

Definitely makes it easier having that safe place and person you know you trust :)

Not necessarily, sometimes illnesses don't show up until after you bring the animal home, because being moved to a new home is stressful, and stress can cause a hidden illness to show up. I would think

Its always recommended to quarantine every new pet.

Obviously you trust the rescue that he goes to (and came from?). What was it that made you trust them? Like their quarantining procedures? The person who runs the rescue? Seeing it (the rescue/situation) with your own eyes, etc?

Definitely makes it easier having that safe place and person you know you trust :)

Hopper Haven is bunny heaven, I actually feel guilty I have taken bunnies from Lou's care :oops:

Not necessarily, sometimes illnesses don't show up until after you bring the animal home, because being moved to a new home is stressful, and stress can cause a hidden illness to show up. I would think

they came home bonded after over a week together id have been an idiot to separate them :? do you honestly send your rabbit for bonding then break the bond ???????

they came home bonded after over a week together id have been an idiot to separate them :? do you honestly send your rabbit for bonding then break the bond ???????

Oh I didn't know that. I've never sent a rabbit to be bonded but obviously if I did I'd either trust the rescue to not have a sick rabbit or I'd have the new rabbit quarantined before I sent the new one and my current one to be bonded.

To be honest, and I know that wasn't directed at me, I would imagine that people would only take/send their rabbit/s for bonding if they trusted the person and place and their procedures, which you do.

If you don't trust/know a place/person, then it would not be sensible to send your animal there.

How would that work though if you are getting a rabbit from a rescue and they're bonding for you?

You wouldn't be able to bring them home for a fortnight and rescues will often try speed-dating (ie. if one bond doesn't seem to be going too well, they will try with another).

If I was getting a new bunny that wasn't from a rescue I would quarantine; if it was from a rescue, then I would need to be able to trust the rescue.

How would that work though if you are getting a rabbit from a rescue and they're bonding for you?

You wouldn't be able to bring them home for a fortnight and rescues will often try speed-dating (ie. if one bond doesn't seem to be going too well, they will try with another).

If I was getting a new bunny that wasn't from a rescue I would quarantine; if it was from a rescue, then I would need to be able to trust the rescue.

Same with me. I don't know of any rescues that bond though so I doubt I'll ever need to make the decision.

To be honest, and I know that wasn't directed at me, I would imagine that people would only take/send their rabbit/s for bonding if they trusted the person and place and their procedures, which you do.

If you don't trust/know a place/person, then it would not be sensible to send your animal there.

i'm dreading the day i have to find a new rescue up here :( altho I think fife rescue have a great reputation so i'm hoping they will let me adopt from them. when the time comes I will put the feelers out for a trusted rescue by Edinburgh.. hope it never happens tho, I want Alvin and Holly to out live me :lol:

I will never do my own bonds so I will never bring home a random health unknown rabbit so I stand by my vote of no :D

This is probably a stupid question that I should know the answer to (sorry), but do you quarantine and then start vaccinations, or do you get the vaccinations started straight away?

I've got my very first fosters at the moment, and I'm not sure if I've done everything the right way round. The rabbits arrived directly with me from their inadequate home (the RSPCA inspector brought them straight to me, so they hadn't been to rescue before). I was so paranoid about vaccs that I booked them in for myxi about 3 days after they arrived with me, then obviously the vhd 2 weeks afterwards.

I've been very careful about infection control, so I guess that would count as 'quarantine'. But should I be giving the buns 2 weeks (or more) to settle in and for any illnesses to become apparant to me before vaccinating?

Sorry if this sounds dim :-( I haven't had any advice at all from the branch I'm fostering for, so I'm learning as I go. I hope I am not getting things wrong :(

This is probably a stupid question that I should know the answer to (sorry), but do you quarantine and then start vaccinations, or do you get the vaccinations started straight away?

I've got my very first fosters at the moment, and I'm not sure if I've done everything the right way round. The rabbits arrived directly with me from their inadequate home (the RSPCA inspector brought them straight to me, so they hadn't been to rescue before). I was so paranoid about vaccs that I booked them in for myxi about 3 days after they arrived with me, then obviously the vhd 2 weeks afterwards.

I've been very careful about infection control, so I guess that would count as 'quarantine'. But should I be giving the buns 2 weeks (or more) to settle in and for any illnesses to become apparant to me before vaccinating?

Sorry if this sounds dim :-( I haven't had any advice at all from the branch I'm fostering for, so I'm learning as I go. I hope I am not getting things wrong :(

I don't think that sounds dim.

This is my opinion only, and whilst vaccinations are important, I think the rabbit needs at least a week to settle and for you to assess them. Vaccinations should only be done on a healthy bunny, and that's not always easy to tell straight away, especially if the problem is complicated.

The illnesses are obviously a huge issue, but I think first and foremost you have to ensure they bring nothing in with them before looking at the other aspects.

That is my opinion only though and others are likely to disagree.

Thanks Sky-O. This is helpful. Next time I will wait longer before rushing to vaccinate, as what you say is very sensible.

When in quarantine, should a bun be kept indoors, or in a shed or something similar? Only I have hutches in the garden with attached runs. I shouldn't really be letting unvaccinated buns stay in the garden should I? I think this is what made me rush to vaccinate, as I wasn't happy for the sake of the buns to risk them catching something simply from being outside.

Back