• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby bunnies and mummy question

karen1980

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I went to see a french lop 12 weeks old free to a good home yesterday and the lady had giant babies.

They looked well and she had the mum and dad too but im confused.

I thought bunnies should stay with their mum until they are 9-10 weeks old.
These were 3/4 weeks old and were seperated as they werent feeding milk anymore and were on solids (Muesli)

Is this right?

Definitely not right. You are right- they should stay with mum until 8 weeks, at least, unless it's safest for the babies (such as if mum is attacking them) and they need to be separated earlier.

That all said, the gut makes the conversion to an adult gut at about 4 weeks old, so they may do ok if they are older than that, but their imune system is likely to be compromised.

They were adorable :love: but she said they have stopped feeding milk so dont need the mum anymore.

The mum is very protective if she is around them but they live seperate now with the other 8 bunnies.

I dont think they were pure bred giants either as mum and dad were on the small side

Anyway I managed to leave the house with no bunnies in tow! :D

Back