• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infections

Dee Jay

Warren Scout
Hello

Would someone with a good knowledge of ear infections (causes, severity etc) be able to PM me please or point me towards a reliable/reputable site for further information?

Thank you.

Jacks-Jane will be able to help you,one of her buns has a chronic ear infection.Have you had a culture and sensitivity test done to see which bacteria are involved?

Nothing that serious yet, I've been to the vets today and I've been given Baytril to treat with for the next few days to see how the infection heals before another appointment at the end of the week.

Baytril isnt the best antibiotic to use for an ear infection,has your rabbit got puss in his ears?
One of my rabbits had an ear infection,my vet did a C&S test,which is a swab of the ear canal,to see which bacteria were present,once the results came back appropriate antibioics were prescribed plus ear drops.I dont want to alarm you but ear infections are really hard to get under contol.
I would drop Jacks-Jane a pm as she will be in a better position to advise you,good luck xxx

Hi what are your buns symptoms?

My bun Mimi had a severe inner ear infection, which unfortunately cased her to have a very severe head tilt and lose her balance completely :cry: She did recover though :D What is it you need to know, Im not the most knowledgeable but I will help if I can :wave:

I agree that Baytril is probably not strong enough and that a culture and sensitivity test is the best way forward to find out what abx are best.

Hello

Thank you for the replies :)

Symptoms wise I'd noticed a bit more grooming than usual during the week and that her inner ear had started to get a bit scabby/bloody so we went to the vets today to get it checked out.

The vet removed a rather large amount of wax and then said there was puss/the beginning of an infection underneath. She mentioned that we may need to move onto injecting a stronger antibiotic if the infection depending on how the infection is looking in the check up on Thursday/Friday.

Knowledge wise I was just looking for things that could cause an ear infection and what it could lead to. I'm generally a bit of a worry wart at the best of times so after finding a bit online and in a rabbit book (Rabbits for Dummies) about it leading to head tilt I'm a bit nervous and want to do whatever I can in the mean time to help her.

Rhia has two dreadful infections in her ear, the bacterias are pasteurella & pseudamona. I'd get a c&s test done even if the vet is reluctant at this early a stage then go from there. Rhia is doing amazing on injectable penecillin & marbocyl. I do think your bun should be on metacam too though, ear infections are so sore for them. Rhi had a huge dose for the first six weeks or so then is on 1ml a day now for the forseeable future - its a long process as they are agressive things :( Keep us updated xx

Back