• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eating, NOT drinking.. help!

Starlight

Warren Veteran
On behalf of Victor's fosterer.

Victor has been to the vets today, he has had a depocillin injection, but he has come off his Metacam, Emeprid (replaced with Sea Legs 12.5mg), Panacur (after 28 day course), but he is still on Zithromax.

It was stressful visit, but he seems to be getting back to normal, but he has had three lots of diarrhoea and no other poos since he came home at 2pm.

He has also been stretching his belly to the floor.

He is eating fine, has had loads of soaked Science Selective Pellets and grass.

He wont drink water!

Any advice?

If he has true diarrhoea then he needs admission for fluid therapy given that he is on 'high risk' abx.

Abx induced enteritis can be fatal without immediate treatment. My advice would be Rabbit Savvy Vets now.

The diarrhoea was soggy poo and not slushy (not ceacthophes), there has been no more bowel activity for the last hour and half, but he has just this second had a wee.

I am confused, normally when a rabbit has health issues, they stop eating, but he is constantly eating whatever I give him.

I feel that the vet visit was one of the reasons he is now so stressed, I really don't want to have to take him if it is not necessary as I fear this could make him a lot worse and if he stops eating altogether, this could be fatal.

My main concern is that he keeps refusing water which could be effecting his bowel activity and his gut flora, I have given him loads of soaked pellets and he is eating grass, but he wont take his syringe (he has been a bit funny about his syringe for the last few days, but was fine for the first 3 weeks).

The injection was at 1pm, as he is fine in himself, is the risk still as dangerous seeing that it was given nearly 7 hours ago.

I am worried that the vets has stressed him out, if his belly is hurting I feel he should have some pain relief as I do not want it to get worse causing him to stop eating.

He came off the Metacam because he is due to start steroid injections on Tuesday, I am wondering whether I would be better to give him Metacam and postpone the steroids until things have settled.

I am worried that the vets has stressed him out, if his belly is hurting I feel he should have some pain relief as I do not want it to get worse causing him to stop eating.

He came off the Metacam because he is due to start steroid injections on Tuesday, I am wondering whether I would be better to give him Metacam and postpone the steroids until things have settled.

You need to call the Vet to ask them, we cannot advise you to administer a Prescription Only Medication, especially when the Vet has specifically told you not to.

There are other analgesics (Prescription Only) that could be given.

Although why the Vet has said no Metacam for THREE DAYS before starting steroids I dont know :?

What Vets are you using, not Animal Ark by any chance ?

the steriods will help with pain relief

as for the eating and not drinking if you have already taken the rabbit to the vets, keep saoking the buns fave veggies in water then they will get water through the veggies natural waters and the water on it, feed the bun apples etc.. fruits and veggies with lots of natural water

I am doing this with yuri atm

now if you havent taken the bun back to the vet yet ask for *forgets name* this injection that goes under the skin that releases water and keeps the bun from being dehydrated

Well, as I say. I'd give them a call for advise re administering some analgesia :)

I would mention the diarrhoea and apparent abdominal pain too.

I have just phoned the emergency vet, she is not rabbit savvy but she has said that the depocillin injection is not the cause because he would have swellings ect. not the symptoms he is showing (?)

She said that postponing the steroids and putting him back on the Metacam would be favourable, but she will check with William and I am to phone back in 10 minutes to see what he has said.

Unfortunately she was not able to get in touch with William, but has advised me to give the Metacam which I have just done and he took it himself without force; like he always does.

He did just eat a bit of parsley, but I think I have been stuffing him with food and he just doesn't want any more, he is sitting up and is very alert.... oh, he has just chomped down a chunk of carrot.

His last bowel movement was at 6pm, with the 4 hour cycle in mind I am hoping that we will see some more poos by 10pm, hopefully they will be normal.

He is grooming himself as I type.

Unfortunately she was not able to get in touch with William, but has advised me to give the Metacam which I have just done and he took it himself without force; like he always does.

He did just eat a bit of parsley, but I think I have been stuffing him with food and he just doesn't want any more, he is sitting up and is very alert.... oh, he has just chomped down a chunk of carrot.

His last bowel movement was at 6pm, with the 4 hour cycle in mind I am hoping that we will see some more poos by 10pm, hopefully they will be normal.

He is grooming himself as I type.

grooming is good it means the bun isnt dehydrated

Hi Laura

I didn't think of that, but it makes perfect sense, I have spent so much time trying to get water in him because I didn't feel he was getting enough, but I suppose he must of been.

He is much better today, a little TLC and no stressful vet visit ensured that we had normal poos by 1.40 this morning..... for most people a cute bunny is what they look for, me? Perfect bunny poos! My life has got so sad! Lol.

Hi Laura

I didn't think of that, but it makes perfect sense, I have spent so much time trying to get water in him because I didn't feel he was getting enough, but I suppose he must of been.

He is much better today, a little TLC and no stressful vet visit ensured that we had normal poos by 1.40 this morning..... for most people a cute bunny is what they look for, me? Perfect bunny poos! My life has got so sad! Lol.
[/B]
oh no I feel you here I was going mental with yuri with poos, drinking eating etc... after her spay

as soon as she started grooming lots I chilled out more ^_^

Back