• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Straining type problem, any advice please.

Sue&Smokes

Young Bun
Hi,

Have had Jacob at the vets today after noticing he was straining in his litter-trays yesterday evening. His appetite was also a bit off and had decreased a bit more this morning.

The vet checked him over, checked his stomach by feeling and said it felt a bit doughey. He checked his bladder by feeling also and said it was empty and his fur underneath was not soiled at all.

He did check ears and teeth also and said they looked fine. He gave Jacob a metacam injection and baytril injection and has given me some liquid paraffin to give him at a dose of 2ml per day.

The vet advised that if the problem did not resolve in a couple of days to take him back to re-assess. I do have metacam also to give him at home. I asked if he would require any further antibiotic to give at home, but he said that had been given more as a preventative measure and to see how he goes.

Since coming back though he still seems uncomfy when trying to go in his litter trays. He was holding his tail up quite a lot, I was a bit unsure whether he was a bit constipated or whether this was a Urinary tract type problem and think the treatments he's had from the vets today was to cover all angles. He is still pooping, although smallish amounts and it seems only a small amount of urine that he is producing each time he goes. I should add that the vet did not think he was dehydrated.

Just wondered if anyone had noticed or had similar symptoms which pointed to a similar type problem. The poops that I have seen were not threaded together or anything which otherwise might have thought would point to more of a possible hair-ball type of blockage.

His appetite is a little better this evening but he's not himself and just wondered if anything else I've missed or could try for him. Thanks for any further suggestions or help.

Sue xx

Others on here are far more expert than me but it sound like your boy has a mild stasis. My girl is currently in the same situation brought about by me changing her food.
There is USUALLY a cause for stasis (again others on here are more knowledgable than me) but infection, diet changes, stress, bereavement, teeth (most importantly) to name but a few. The heat will not be helping.

I would ask your vet if some prokinetics such as metoclopramide or zantac would be appropriate. Mean time I would offer him lots of fresh greens and hay, avoid sugars and carbohydrate as they slow the gut further, and maybe look at getting some fibreplex or oxbow critical care (both available on line and without a vet's prescription).

Encouraging activity also helps hence I've been chasing a lady rabbit around a cool evening garden tonight!!!!!

Good luck and if poos and eating aren't better tomorrow I'ld phone your vet and ask about ORAL metoclopramide and/or zantac. If your bun stresses out going to the vet then ask if they'll do the meds for you without taking your bun back.

Again, good luck xxx

Thanks Hannah, hadn't thought about the fibreplex or critical care, so will make sure I get some for him.

Am a little happier with him tonight as he's eaten some hay and seems a bit happier within himself, am just having to keep a close eye on his toilet habbits as the straining was really worrying me.

Will keep encouraging the exercise like you say and hopefully will see more of an improvement tomorrow, will keep the prokinetics suggestion in mind also.

Hope your girl bun recovers okay too, thanks again,
Sue xx

Sorry I missed this yesterday :cry:

How is Jacob this morning ?

Is he urinating OK ? The symptoms you describe sound more like cystitis to me and if so it may be a good idea for him to have a full course of antibiotics rather than just the one dose he had yesterday.

Cystitis can cause anorexia and GI tract hypomotility as a result of the pain.

Anyway, I really hope that Jacob is doing better now :)

How's Jacob this morning?
My lady lady is flopped out in a little cave she''s dug herself!!!
Not lots of poos from her over night but this morning we've had some eating,some pooing,some inquisative pottering and rather understandably in the heat some flopping out and feeling rather warm!!!!!
Vetuk do quite prompt delivery and their prices are pretty good
Hot high-fives from here!

Thanks Jane, I was leaning towards thinking it sounded more like a cystitis type problem but the vet we saw yesterday did not seem completely sure, however he did say to bring Jacob back in couple of days if no improvement from the treatments he received.

He is eating a little better than he was, however, have just been watching him in his litter tray and he is still doing little movements with his back end, (tail area) like moving it up and down quite a lot. There are still poops coming through, but not sure how well he is urinating, have seem small amounts but he's still looking a bit uncomfy at times.

He is due to have some more metacam and a bit more liquid paraffin, so will see if any further improvement later, however, like you say it does sound more like cystitis.

Thanks for your help, will let you know how he gets on,
Sue xx

Hi Hannah, have just posted an update on Jacob, good to hear your girl is doing a bit better :) I will check out the site, thanks and will let you know how Jacob gets on,
Sue xx

Well, I am not a Vet but personally I would hold off with the Liquid Paraffin. LP will just coat any ingesta with oil making it impossible for the ingesta to absorb water. So any matter already impacted will further dehydrated and not shift.

My advice would be to go back to the Vet today. Is he/she Rabbit Savvy ? Some Vets may be great with Cats and Dogs but pretty clueless when it comes to Rabbits.

Also, if it is cystitis the Metacam may not be the most appropriate analgesia to administer. Another reason for the need to consult a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

I really would not leave things for another 24 hours.

Well, I am not a Vet but personally I would hold off with the Liquid Paraffin. LP will just coat any ingesta with oil making it impossible for the ingesta to absorb water. So any matter already impacted will further dehydrated and not shift.

My advice would be to go back to the Vet today. Is he/she Rabbit Savvy ? Some Vets may be great with Cats and Dogs but pretty clueless when it comes to Rabbits.

Also, if it is cystitis the Metacam may not be the most appropriate analgesia to administer. Another reason for the need to consult a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

I really would not leave things for another 24 hours.

I was a little baffled by the liquid parafin too Jane so thank you for clearing that up for me!!!!

I am now worried my lovely and very old bun who died 7 weeks ago may have had a UTI......oh well....stressing won't help and amongst everything else he had he did have a course of antibiotics!

Good luck at the vets with Jacob xxx

Thanks Hannah and thanks Jane for your thoughts again. I did feel that the vet I saw yesterday was quite well up with rabbits as he was up to date with the recent metacam dosages and did seem to thoroughly check Jacob.

Regarding the liquid paraffin, I have used this before and this came from a very highly regarded rabbit vet who followed advice from Frances Harcourt-Brown. It was also stated in her book that liquid paraffin was indicated for the treatment of caecal impaction. The vet seemed happy that Jacob was not dehydrated but I have been syringing him some water aswell.

I am a bit torn between taking Jacob today or following the advice of the vet to try the treatments he recommended and if no improvement to take him back tomorrow. He has a looked a bit brighter and is eating more than he was, but is not looking right yet when he's sitting in his litter trays.

Can I ask what alternative analgesia can safely be given if it does turn out to be cystitis and why Metacam would not be as suitable?

Thanks again for your thoughts, much appreciated, I will get him to the vets pronto if I suspect he is in pain, sadly not a great choice of vets around our area as we used to see Hannah Bould at Friarswood - Newcastle-under-lyme but she relocated and am not sure where she is now.

Will keep you updated,
Sue xx

Thanks Hannah, he is a lovely affectionate boy!! He is continuing to baffle me with his behaviour though. He has picked up with his eating quite a lot today and this evening and has done more poops also. Just that he still seems a little uncomfy when using the litter tray!

He is booked in to see the vet again tomorrow as obviously am still concerned about the issue of the straining. I was happier to see him eating better though and his general behaviour otherwise has been ok and he looks quite bright within himself.

Hope your girl bun is recovering well,
will update with any further news,
Sue xx

Hi,

Just to update, Jacob has been seen by a really good vet earlier on who examined him thoroughly and has now recommended a 7 day course of antibiotics for him which will hopefully see an end to the straining problem he is having.

She did say that they do normally associate some fur soiling with the problem of Cystitis which Jacob did not have, but that the next alternative would be to x-ray him to check for possible bladder stones. Really hope that the latter is not the case and that he will respond positively now to the course of antibiotics.

He is a bit stressed out from another vet visit today but hopefully with a bit of TLC now will be on the road to recovery. Thanks again to Hannah and Jane for your help and earlier thoughts.

Fingers crossed for the lad and hope your girl bun also recovers well Hannah,
Sue xx

Oh glad Jacob is doing better Sue!!!
Madam Chops (Buttons's other name) is lots better thank you now her stupid mother has worked out what on earth she's doing wrong!!!!! I feel so foolish!!!:oops:
Keep us updated and noserubs all round (for the buns!!!!)

:love:

Sadly had to take Jacob back in to the vets this morning after no further improvement from the antibiotics. I was becoming increasingly concerned for him as he was struggling to get comfy and was constantly trying to lift his tail and urinate:cry:

He was x-rayed this morning and he has a large stone located near the exit of his urethra and one that is a lot smaller in his bladder area, but it is the large one that is causing him the pain and why he can't urinate properly.

He is in surgery now and they are going to try and flush the stone from the urethra back into the bladder where it should be easier to remove.

I am a bag of nerves worrying that he comes through okay, but he is in excellent care.

Pleased to hear your bun is better Hannah, hope I get some good news though soon,

Sue xx

Poor boy :cry:

I have to admit that I suspected bladder stones from the start as I have seen a similar presentation on a few previous occasions. All the effected Rabbits made a good recovery after surgery. Hopefully Jacob will too :)

I have my boy home from the surgery today which turned out to be a long and fairly difficult 2 hour operation - with 2 vets attending to Jacob, but they got there and managed to flush a very large stone (size of a big pea) which was brown in colour into the bladder area upon which they were able to remove it and the smaller stone also.

They are sending the stone off to have it analyzed and should hopefully have the results for that soon. They said Jacob would be sore for a while from the operation, but he will be checked in 3 days time and hopefully the pain-meds will help him on road to recovery now. Thanks Jane, it's good to know your bunnies have recovered well from similar operations, we couldn't believe it when we saw the size of the stone!

We are pretty relieved we have all our bunnies insured also as the vet bills for Jacob this week came to £800!!

He is still a little woozey from the GA earlier but hopefully he is on the mend now, big relief to have that stone out!!

Sue xx

Nose rubs and vibes to Jacob.
I'm remember tail lifting may mean bladder stones.....if my old Petie had had bladder stones at 9 I'm not sure I could have put him through a 2 hr op!!!
High fives from my two to Jacob!!! xxxxx

My Alfie has a similar problem, the Vet thinks it may be a blockage she is eating greens and baby carrots and some science select, she is going to the toilet but seems to like to lay down after eating. She hasnt been spayed but the vet cant feel any lumps or bumps her teeth are a little sharp but nothing to worry about, she's been like this since monday and has got stronger everyday but isnt her usual naughty self.

I'm popping down vets later to see if I can get some more metcarm or something to perk her up a bit. She doesnt like having a belly massage so im chasing her around to get her moving, have noticed a few large poops.

Back